Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

HELP!!!

i jus came home and my fish are breathing very rapidly and theres bubbles coating the whole surface of the water, and the water has a slight cloudiness to it. I have no idea why this is happening but the fish are definitely stressed , can any one offer any advice, last weekend i made a 10-15% water change but everything was fine , and i just checked the levels today and everything was within range except ammonia which im goin to get a test kit cause i ran out.
please help.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve
i jus came home and my fish are breathing very rapidly and theres bubbles coating the whole surface of the water, and the water has a slight cloudiness to it.
If nothing died and is causing any elevations, it might be a bacterial die off/bloom. How is the skimmer behaving and have you made any chem additions?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had one blue devil die on me tonight, and i have no idea why. Its very frustrating since all the levels say they are perfect , yet the water looks bad and bubbles coat the entire surface. Would you suggest a water change or something else?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i'm definately no expert but i don't think it could hurt. obviously something is wrong. did you get that test kit?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
did you check your protein skimmer like steve-s asked? It may be a contributing factor...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

ammonia was 0ppm, i actually didnt have a protein skimmer i just bought one tonight and set it up but it hasnt been running long enough to produce anything i dont think (the foam is still white).

Could it be like a massive bacteria outbreak for some reason, if so what options do i have i know treating the main tank is bad cause it could kill beneficial bacteria but at the same time i dont have a large enough QT tank to store the rest of the fish even though theres only 4 of them.

i'm so frustrated its my first tank and since ive started it seems like all ive come across is problems im just about ready to give up.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
steve-s

If you have not already, do the water changes. You may never know what has caused the issue. Keep the skimmer going and run some catrbon in the event it might be something that is chemically poisoning the water.

Quote:
ammonia was 0ppm, i actually didnt have a protein skimmer i just bought one tonight and set it up but it hasnt been running long enough to produce anything i dont think (the foam is still white).
The reason I was asking about the skimmer was to find out if it was producing excess skimmate. It can also be a sign of some foreign amiss with the water.

Quote:
Could it be like a massive bacteria outbreak for some reason, if so what options do i have i know treating the main tank is bad cause it could kill beneficial bacteria but at the same time i dont have a large enough QT tank to store the rest of the fish even though theres only 4 of them.
Do the water changes, check all the parameters to see if anything is amiss and also change out the carbon a few times to be sure.

Quote:
i'm so frustrated its my first tank and since ive started it seems like all ive come across is problems im just about ready to give up.
You may have had a few set backs, I think we all have at one time or another but I would hate to see the hobby lose a conscientious person such as yourself...

If you do the tests, post the results as well as any other odd things you notice. Any changes or additions made. I am sure the worst will hopefully be over but helping to find out the cause will prevent a future mishap.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do you consider excess skimmate,
while having the skimmer run i noticed the bubbles get to the collection cup but then it fills up with a clear liquid( im guessin water) pretty fast and foam starts to come out the little hole in the top of the cup and overfloew into the tank, still white bubbles though. What does this mean?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

k heres an update: just did a 20% water change, water i took out was brownish cloudy and smells pretty nasty. No fish died during the night so that was encouraging however some of them are still breathing rapidly. I put a new pouch of activated carbon in the filter to hopefuly remove any nasty chemicals in there and maybe some of the smell. Later i'm gonna replace 2/4 filter pads to remove any debris in the water.
I'm wondering if the water quality was just really really bad for some reason. I just did a water change last weekend and now this weekend its light brown when i remove it ( still doesnt explain the bubbles on the surface)
Depending how the water and fish look tomorrow morning i think i might do another 15-20% water change either sunday night or monday night to empty the nasty water again.

Hopefully everything makes it through a-ok.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #10
steve-s

The scum on the water surface would still suggest something has died. Bacteria die offs are normally a whitish color not the brown you are describing but does not neccessarily mean it's not. Do as you have already suggested above and it should set things right. You recently had a problem brown algae bloom, was there a massive change in that? Any temp spikes?

Quote:
What do you consider excess skimmate,
while having the skimmer run i noticed the bubbles get to the collection cup but then it fills up with a clear liquid( im guessin water) pretty fast and foam starts to come out the little hole in the top of the cup and overfloew into the tank, still white bubbles though. What does this mean?
Excessive skimmate or when the cup fills too quickly, means that there is something foreign in the water other than normal levels of DOC. At this point I cannot say what's caused it unless you also used a stress coat product containing aloe.

How is the ph/alk?

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com