Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My anthia died yesterday. It was breathing very heavily before it did. Now my clowfish is breathing heavily and is not coming out to eat!!! All other fish appear to be ok. My water parameters are as follows:

Nitrite: 0
ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
ph: (waiting for lights to come on, but 2 days ago it was 8.1)
sg: 1.025
temp: 81

Please help!

Mary

Well the ph was low and I don't understand why, I just put a little buffer in a few days ago. My total alk is 3.0 and my ph is 7.8. What should be my next step?

Products i have are:
Reef builder
Marine buffer (ph)
Bionic

I did a w/c last week.

Mary

Don't rely on chemical to repair pH problems. It can be a good "interim" step to help the immediate problem but is not a good long term option. You need to review the way the tank is set up aeration wise as well as possible contributing house elements that may be contributing to higher CO2 introduction to the tank.

If the tank has been running okay for a long while, then I would look at outward sources of CO2 than tank specific. Getting into the cooler months, often people keep their windows closed more than they would normally. This can be the "breaking" point where pH was otherwise fine. Just an example mind you but something to consider.

If you want to give a rundown of the tank set up and any possible changes to the house and/or tank, that would help. No detail is too small so don't think strictly in terms of large scope. I would also post your normal chemistry routine, if any.

Cheers
Steve

how much circulation do you have in the tank? Is there a nice surface disturbance on the water?

I have a dual hang on the back overflow. I just did some much needed maintenance yesterday. There was algae build up in the overflow tubes, but I gave em a good scrub down and put them back in place. the return nozzles are positioned to break the surface of the water slightly but the nozzle that comes from the chiller seems to have slowed down a bit. I have 3 powerheads working in three of the 4 corners. The house is always closed up due to the fact that florida is HOT and the air conditioner keeps the temp down (temp in tank goes up if windows are open) The ph problem has been an on and off problem since we've been in the house. My husband's tank is showing signs of it as well. I do regular water changes (which helps directly afterwards, but doesn't last long). I do tend to feed my tanks well, but my nitrates are at 10ppm or less and phosphates are non existant so that is probabally an unlikely cause. I have added a nitrate filter and we are still playing with it, but I have had problems before adding the filter.

Oh, also, the clown seems to have an inner layer to his gills fapping as he breaths, is this normal? It's the same color as he is, I have just never noticed it.

clowninround said:
The house is always closed up due to the fact that florida is HOT and the air conditioner keeps the temp down (temp in tank goes up if windows are open) The ph problem has been an on and off problem since we've been in the house. My husband's tank is showing signs of it as well.
I would think this will be house related then. You can do a test to confirm that though. Instead of the normal tank/outside sampling, I would suggest three tests. One with the water placed outside the house, one in the same room as the tank and the tank itself. It will help if the two removed samples can be aerated with an airstone. Make sure each "removed" sample is aerated for the same length of time and if possible set up and tested for simultatiously. That will improve accuracey. If not, be sure the tests are run at the same time of day with exactly the same household conditions.

The idea being, the outside air should raise the pH quite easily so that will be the "control" sample if you will. The sample inside the house will help determine if it's a CO2 issue. If the pH of the indoor sample rises significantly, it's a tank aeration problem, if a minimal change or noe at all, it's a house aeration problem.

Oh, also, the clown seems to have an inner layer to his gills fapping as he breaths, is this normal? It's the same color as he is, I have just never noticed it.
Laboured breathing can be a direct result of pH problems and a sign of elevated CO2. Gills should be bright red, not swollen and a smooth steady rhythm. Your clown could be showing signs of hyperplasia or at least the effects of something in the past. Hard to tell, might not be anything. Would need alot more history.

What temp do you keep the tanks at? Given the chiller use, I suspect above 80°?

Cheers
Steve

Yes the tank is kept around 80...will do the test today. I should be using saltwater or can I do this with regular water?

clowninround said:
Yes the tank is kept around 80...
Around?

will do the test today. I should be using saltwater or can I do this with regular water?
Use the water striaght from the tank for each test. Anything else will skew your results.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom