Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
always QT new fish, wether it is your first fish or not.

The relevant artcles are here:
- Quarentine
- Acclimation

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for your advice guys or gals. I took the fish back to the fish store and they said they didn't think it was ick. They said it looked like a bacterial disease. I don't know but I wasn't comfortable keeping a sick fish. So I asked them to exchange it. I really liked that fish, but i'm not sure I could care for it correctly I'm still pretty new at this. As for having a QT that is why I bought the 265 gallon tank and plan to turn my 46 gallon into QT. i've taken chances and been lucky for a year and never used a QT so I figured my luck would be wearing out soon that is why the new tank. Figures the minute I try to be precautious I get a sick one. Well anyway so far so good my other fish look good no spots. KNOCK ON WOOD! Thanks again.

taran01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never used a QT. Shame on me...but I've also been doing reef tanks for about 12 years. I dunno, I've always used the natural approach, and have never...let me repeat, never had an Ich breakout. Does this mean that I've never owned a fish that had Ich...nope....Does this mean that I've always had shrimp that would eat the parasites...not sure of that either. All I do know is...I can count my blessings, as I'm sure one day I'll have disaster. BTW, I have always used an abundance of livestock in my aquariums that would tend to different bad things that might occur in the tank. Cya
"You tell 'em I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me"
By-Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
So far so good

Okay everyone so far so good. I took the sick fish out of the tank and took him back to the store I purchased him at. They claim it isn't ick but some bacteria disease. Anyway I replaced the fish with a different one and all is well so far no other fish are getting any spots. I may have just lucked out on this one. I will be cycling my 265 for probably the next 2 months then after that I plan to move all my fish over to that tank. I have no plans to buy any more new fish until I have a QT in place. Thanks for all your help. Taran

taran01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com