help! 6line wrasse sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hyposalinity is a great treatment for certain problems but it is by no means a "cure all". Hypo may sometimes alleviate/mask certain symptoms giving the appearance it's helping but will not really affect a cure.

So far from what I can tell, the problem was stress related. Especially if there are no other fish exhibiting symptoms of any kind. Leave the fish as it is for the next little while and get it back up to proper strength/health. Once it looks like it has fattened up and healthy, raise the salinity and monitor for an additional two weeks. If all looks good, transfer back to the main. If the fish does not improve or additional symptoms appear, post back immediately. Be sure to include tank parameters and detailed treatment process/maintenance.

Pay special attention to water quality, alk/pH and food nutrition during the QT stay.

Cheers
Steve

We need to fimd out what is wrong because Hypo is for ick. The low salinity causes their membrane to burst. If he has a viral or bacterial problem he`ll have to be treated with a madicine in the QT. Good luck

the wrasse died on saturday :cry: He looked pretty bad on friday, his face started to change colors it turned a darker color like his body :?: He was breathing heavy and not moving much at all. I hope I didn't do more harm than good with the hypo, I'm just glad he's not sufferiing anymore. :cry:

Very odd, sorry for your loss :(

As long as the hypo was performed properly, it would not have led to the fish's death. Salinity dropped over 48 hrs, pH/alk tested 2x daily, nitrogens and so on.

Did you mix any treatments along with the hypo?

The only symptoms conveyed where heavy gilling, eye irritation and white mucus? Anything different before the wrasses passing?

Keep a special watch on the fish in your main, especially the angel and the clown.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve
I never added any treatments (never knew what to add)

The heavy gilling came and went, he was gilling at the beginning then stopped for a few days then began gilling again the day before he died. The white mucus is normal for a wrasse, he's always done this (encloses himself in a cacoon).

The only thing different before his passing was the confused way he'd swim around, I don't know how to descibe it but he looked confused. I saw him a few times swimming backwards? The color on his face darkened to a blueish grey instead of the tan color.

So far all other inhabitants of the main are good. :)

So far the only thing I can attribute this to is stress. Nothing else seems to be present. If parasitic, I am quite sure the fish in the display would have exibited something by now. As for the mucus, yes that would be normal night time activity but not during the day.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom