Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
steve-s

Given the current symptoms I doubt hyposalinity is the best course of action. Agreed on the FW dip but it can be used as an effective diagnostic tool for Amyloodinium ocellatum (see here). The only problem being is if the fish is very sick, the dip could kill it.

How long have you had the clowns and are any of the other fish in the tank exhibiting similar symptoms in any way, particularly the angel?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The clown has been around about two months. All other fish are fine. The wrasse is doing better I think, he is moving around alot more and eating. His eyes are still red, anyone know what causes his eyes to be red? When he does come out he is very timid any sudden movement and he swims back into his hiding spot. Reminder I've had this fish 10 months and he is always very personable. He appears to have dementia.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
steve-s

Is it still in the main or the QT? If QT what are the water parameters and have you done/added any treatments?

Noticed any aggression after the angel was added?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #14

The wrasse is in QT - the parameters are ammonia,nitrite, nitrate=0 ph=8.2 salinity is down to 1.014 temp=80 No treatments have been added I never new what to add. There was no agression with the angel he did seem alittle scared of the angel at first but the angel totally ignored him.
The wrasse is definately doing better he is swimming more and eating and his eyes don't appear to be as red. I think he just had a bacteria or parasite and he's fighting it off?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
I think he just had a bacteria or parasite and he's fighting it off?
Could be either but if parasitic, the other fish would have shown some symptoms. Keep close watch on all of them. Continue as you have been and be sure to keep a close eye on the QT water quality. If it remains so, a mild bacterial problem may dissapear on it's own. Personally I don't think it's bacterial though.

Was the QT previously cycled or newly set up?

FWIW, parasitic infestations are there to stay unless treated properly. Fish can never be rid of most types unless the tank is fallowed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #16

QT was newly set up using main tank water and sponge filter that had been floating in the sump for a few weeks. Should i continue to drop the salinity or leave it? The fish is kind of swimming around like he's lost or confused?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
steve-s

I'm gathering you've determined this is C. irritans?

If so and you have a refractometer, bring it down to 14 ppt and leave it there. Be sure to watch pH/alk specifically which could be what's causing the "drunken" motion. Also keep sharp tabs on water quality. How fast did you drop the salinity?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #18

I'm gathering you've determined this is C. irritans ?

Steve could you please translate into laymen terms.

I've droppped the salinity from 1.021 to 1.014 in a weeks time I will continue to lower it until I'm at 14 ppt. Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

C. Irritans....

Try this article Jabber.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #20

It is NOT ICK he shows no signs of any spots at all. Did you assume that cause I was doing hypo? I though hypo would help in fighting off a parasite if that is what he has. Is this not true? Is hypo only good for ick? A'm I hurting my fish more by doing hypo? I need some guidance please!!!

Tags
ick, sick, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com