Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In short, no. However, something caused the Ammonia to rise. If you measured at .25 before bedtime and they were dead in the morning, then it stands to reason the ammonia probably go tworse as the night went on. Ammonia is very toxic to life in a closed system. It may be moot now, but it would have been interesting to get a measure of ammonia that morning you found everything floating. This is assuming of course that these sponges did not contain something toxic. Either way, a cycled tank should show 0.

GL!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

for some sorta reason my ammonia is always at .25 even tho i had a small bioload so i dont believe thats the problem either. I had the tank for about 5 months running and it never got bellow .25

Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. How old is this tank? How did you cycle? From what you describe I am thinking it was NH3 poisioning.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Is it possible it was some external source of contamination? Did you spray any chemicals, do any painting, etc? Did you have your hands in the tank that day?
Pghjeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

the only thing i did was dose it with the chemicals i ususally dose it with every week... calcium, iodine, and essential elements. Then i put a sponge in the overflow box to quiet the sound. Other then that i did nothing else. I empty the tank out and redid the water and nows theres a clear slimey substance all over the tank and i am not sure what it is.... Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How old is this tank? How did you cycle?
This info would help.
Quote:
empty the tank out and redid the water and nows theres a clear slimey substance all over the tank and i am not sure what it is.... Any ideas?
What does this mean? Did you empty the tank out completely and add new water? Did you clean the substrate during this large water change?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

the tank is about 5 months old but everything thats in it was transfered from an existing tank. the tank was cycled using live sand from another tank and also a shrimp. I emptyed out like 98% of the water out of the tank, couldnt get the rest out, and changed it with new water. I did not clean the substrate.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You did a 98% water change? Kind of extreme don't you think?

.25 ammonia is a footprint of a problem, no matter what you need to get this resolved. It is probably a key to what happened.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isn't it key that 98% of the water was changed? I would think that would be critical.

Did you dechlorinate the new water before adding it?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of test kits are you using?

How much do you feed?

With that bio load and filtration, I would not think that you should have any ammonia elevation at all. 2 Things: Bad test kit? Overfeeding?

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com