Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any particular reason for doing such a large water change? It is likely you disturbed the biological filtration of the tank. This could have been a cause. Very stressful on fish. Did you use aged SW that was the same temp, Ph and SG of the water you removed?

Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

As mentioned in previous posts any sign of ammonia is unacceptable and potentially harmful to the tank. You can't possible say that .25 is okay because its been like that for as long as you had the tank. If that's the case I would have changed test kits as your ammonia levels could very well be higher then what your current test kit is reading. A good running tank should have 0 ammonia PERIOD.

As for the 98% water change that is definitely something that could have and probably did have a factor in your situation. Anybody on this board or any other reef board would tell you to never do more than a 50% water change at one time, and most would probably say 25%. Do such a large water change disrupts your entire tank bacteria levels and will almost definitely cause an increase in ammonia.

Not to be negative here, but this sounds like human error contributed to this and not a fluke occurance.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

As also mentioned in previous post a 98% water change would almost definitely have a difference in SG, PH which can have a large impact on fish health.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think Jay197 was saying that he did a water change after all the fish died....

I think..
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
the only thing i did was dose it with the chemicals i ususally dose it with every week... calcium, iodine, and essential elements. Then i put a sponge in the overflow box to quiet the sound. Other then that i did nothing else. I empty the tank out and redid the water and nows theres a clear slimey substance all over the tank and i am not sure what it is.... Any ideas?
Now you have me wondering...
Hey Jay, did you do the 98% water change before or after the fish all died?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

i did a water change after all the fish died becuase i still have coral in the tank and i wanted them to survive... As for the ammonia, it is probably due to overfeeding becuase my fish had a little ick and i wanted to feed it a little more so i can grow a better immune system.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #27
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay917
for some sorta reason my ammonia is always at .25 even tho i had a small bioload so i dont believe thats the problem either
I doubt it's the ammonia as well. Some test kits are notorious for showing a 0.25 reading when in fact it's zero. It's actually quite common.

Did the fish still have any color the next day when you found them or where they more whitish looking/pale?

How did your corals/inverts react, what kind do you have? Any losses there at all?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

most of the corals were shriveled up the day i found the fish dead. i also have an anemome as well. it was opened up but not as big as when the tank was healthy..
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

i think i know what happened to my tank now. I think the sponges i used had dry soap on it. Whats the best way to redo my tank to get all the soap out?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry to hear that, wish I knew what to tell you. I imagine that lots of carbon would help get the chemicals out, but not positive.

What makes you say they had soap?

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com