Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

help all fish died overnight

All my fish died overnight and i do not know why... My parameters are good becuase i checked it that night. Could adding a clean sponge kill the fish? I put a couple spouges in the overflow box to catch the water so it will be less quiet. Other then that i did not change anything. They were all swimming healthy earlier that day.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

o yea i looked at night and the fish looked like they were breathing pretty hard...

Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your water parimeters?

Nitrite?
Ammonia?
PH?
Salinity?
Temprature?
Size of Tank?
How long has the tank been set up?
How many fish died?

Sorry about your loss..
Old 07-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

nitrites 0
nitrates 20
ammonia .25
ph 8.2
salinity 1.024
temprature 83
tank size 55
tank been set up for 5 months but most stuff was taking from existing tank
5 fish died
Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of filtration do you have on this tank?

How much LR if any?

Did you loose power or anything?

Sorry for all the questions, but its hard to tell at this point.

When did you test your ammonia? It is possible you had a spike and thus your readings are coming down from it.

What kind of fish did you loose?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

cpr bak pak wet dry filter with protein skimmer hooked up to a 10 gallon refugium
Old 07-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

i ahve about 80 pounds of live rock, no power loss, i tested the ammonia the same night taht they all died cause i noticed they were breathing abnormal. I lost 2 damsels, 2 clowns, and a tang
Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did they show any signs of disease possibly?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ammonia should be 0.

"Ammonia occurs in two states depending on the pH of the water. The unionized state, NH3, is more toxic than the ionized state, NH3+4,. The unionized state can invade the body tissue of marine animals much easier. Almost all free ammonia in sea water with a normal pH is in the ionized state, thus less toxic. As pH rises, the less toxic ionized state decreases and the more toxic unionized state increases. For example, a toxic level of ammonia as NH3 may be present with a pH of 8.4 being lethal , but the same level of ammonia as NH3+4 with a pH of 7.8 may be tolerated. Higher tank temperatures can also effect the toxicity of ammonia..

Testing for ammonia is extremely important. Ammonia will be elevated during a new tank cycle, but can also be elevated in established aquariums if the aquarium maintenance is not maintained. If water is not changed regularly, filters are not kept clean, if the tank is overstocked, or if medication is used that disrupts the biological cycle ammonia levels can increase. Test immediately anytime you have sick fish, or a fish death. Ammonia is measured at parts per million (ppm). Aquarium water quality is critical to the health of tank inhabitants. Lethal levels of ammonia can accumulate very rapidly in the absence of true nitrifying bacteria. The ideal ammonia reading should register at "0"

If ammonia is present, fish may exhibit the following symptoms:

Rapid gill movement
Clamped fins
Bacterial infections
Mortality
"
Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I woudnt think its the ammonia or a disease tho because during the day time they were swimming normally and eating. Could it be possible that the sponges i put in the overflow box cut off the fishes oxygen or something like that?

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com