Help! All my fish are dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just did a water change like I always do. No change whatsoever. I went in the shower and when I came out they were all dead! Anyone have any ideas as to why?

55gal
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Gravity 1.022

It HAS to be chemicals. Did you use windex? Get something on your hand and put your hand in the tank?

What fish died?

4 green chromis
2 Bangaii cardinals
2 fire fish gobies
2 turbo snails

The only thing I can think of is the water was a little cloudy after adding the ph buffer. It always is a little cloudy though. I mix the buffer with aquarium water in a separate container before adding it to the tank.

I agree, something has to be in the water. Is it possible someone spilled something in there?

What was your pH before adding the buffer and what kind of buffer? Is it possible there was a huge pH swing?

My ph is basically non-existent before adding kent marine super buffer dKH.

Just checked ph and it is off the scales high. There is even some buffer powder on the bottom of the tank.

I must have added to much though i'm not quite sure how. I guess I have to start my tank all over again :(
May Rock and Roll, Abbot and Costello, the four tops, and Lenny and Squiggy rest in peace

I must have added to much though i'm not quite sure how. I guess I have to start my tank all over again :(
May Rock and Roll, Abbot and Costello, the four tops, and Lenny and Squiggy rest in peace

You don't need to start the tank all over again as the nitrifying bacteria will probably have survived the "boo-boo". What you do want to do is correct the ph and let the tank run for a day or 2 then add a test fish to see if the ammonia level starts to rise in a few days. If it doesn't just add more fish slowly so that the bacteria bed has a chance to keep pace with the load.

Sorry for your loss. We've all been there :blink:

Back
Top Bottom