Help - Blenny crippled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andytee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help. I returned home to bind my bi-colour blenny at the bottom of the tank, alive but curled round and it appears un able to straighten up or swim. It looks like it is trying to swim but can't and is becoming a little distressed. It also isn't getting any food when I feed the tank.

Could it have been injured by another fish? Does anyone have any experience of this or any suggestions?

I am thinking about separating it and putting it in a net breeder so that I can ensure it gets some food?

Any help would be much appreciated!!,!,

Noticed one of my rocks had moved and wondered if it could have injured the Benny? It is still curled round and unable to swim. Could a rock falling on him of paraylsed him?

Yes the rock could have injured him. Do you have a sump or qt tank you could put him in? There is a chance he will make it and could be just banged up pretty well. Try to keep it as stress free as possible.

Im fairly new to this and unfortunately I don't have a sump or qt tank yet. Hopefully the breeder net in the corner of the tank will suffice. I got back today he was resting on the live rock I put in the breeder net and looked as tho he had straightened out a bit. Unfortunately when he tried to move it seems he can still only bend one way and still has a major kink just behind his head (photo to follow ) iv tried to point my lights away from him and will try not to stress him out. Now I guess I have to wait. Still can't get him to eat which is worrying.

Hello all,

Ive just noticed what I think is aiptasia growing in the rock that the blenny spent all it's time in and wondered whether a sting from this could have been the cause of its "paralysis". the pink/brownish suspected aiptasia is actually in the exact crevice the blenny would sit so would have been in contact with for long periods.

Firstly is this sting a possible cause?

Secondly, the blenny is still in the breeder net hiding in the rock. It is more mobile now but seems weak, has more white stress spots most of the time and seems to stressed/scarred to eat? Anybody got suggestions to encourage it to eat/help it recover?

Needless to say the aiptasia will be removed ASAP!

image-1852756281.jpg

Suspected aiptasia in the centre of picture

I would try some food soaked in garlic or herbivore rods food. Garlic will sometimes help with the immune system and stimulate the appetite.

Thank you for the advice joy13.

I'm happy to report that blenny is now eating and swimming normally, and the aiptasia has been eliminated! Going to get some peppermint shrimp to help avoid further issues.

Back
Top Bottom