Help! Clownfish seems to have something!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhosts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey.. Just noticing something up with my clownfish...

He's 2 months old. Tank is 120 gallon, 100lbs of rock, 1 kole tang, 1 royal gramma, 2 pink skunks, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. 4 corals.

SG. 1.025
Temp 75-77
Nitrate: 10-15PPM
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.9-8.2
Calcium: 350ppm
DKH: 10

dpp_3588.jpg

dpp_3589.jpg

dpp_3590.jpg

dpp_3591.jpg

Oh.. I first noticed it last night.. and these pictures were taken 10 mins ago.

It looks like clown fish disease AKA Brooklynella hostilis when it gets to this point there is usually very litte we can do to save the fish .. pristine IE H20 changes , keep fish as stress free as possible . Feed foods soaked in garlic and selcon to boost immunity ... The garlic triggers the feeding response it is thought that it is the allicin in the garlic that does this ...GL

It looks like clown fish disease AKA Brooklynella hostilis when it gets to this point there is usually very litte we can do to save the fish .. pristine IE H20 changes , keep fish as stress free as possible . Feed foods soaked in garlic and selcon to boost immunity ... The garlic triggers the feeding response it is thought that it is the allicin in the garlic that does this ...GL

Should I quarantine the fish? I have a 12 gallon nano cube with nothing in it... The person at the LFS told me to QT him and medicate with Formalin 3.

Is this something I should do?

The fish is still eating BTW... Fed Misis Shrimp today and they went crazy for it.

And what causes Clownfish Disease? Is it something I did or is it just something that can happen any time?

It occurs for many reasons from stress to capture and mishandeling ... It is usually present before you even get the fish ,,,and 98% unlikely any thing you did to it ... Are the fins frayed ?
keeping the water pristine .. and it may work for you ... I had many that I lost to the disease when I started out . The only way once it is introduced to kill it is basically to "sterilize" the whole tank by taking it down and washing every thing (refrenced from conciencious marine aquarist , bob fenner) The disease I believe is a parasite ..Eating is good but only feed a bit at a time to prevent over kill and fouling the water when our main goal at this point is to keep the water pristine ... Mysis is a good food , try to add some selcon and garlic to boost the immunity of the fish ...

It occurs for many reasons from stress to capture and mishandeling ... It is usually present before you even get the fish ,,,and 98% unlikely any thing you did to it ... Are the fins frayed ?
keeping the water pristine .. and it may work for you ... I had many that I lost to the disease when I started out . The only way once it is introduced to kill it is basically to "sterilize" the whole tank by taking it down and washing every thing (refrenced from conciencious marine aquarist , bob fenner) The disease I believe is a parasite ..Eating is good but only feed a bit at a time to prevent over kill and fouling the water when our main goal at this point is to keep the water pristine ... Mysis is a good food , try to add some selcon and garlic to boost the immunity of the fish ...

So should I just chop up some garlic really small and pop it in?

Nano tank is almost ready. It's gonna be a pain fishing them out of the main tank but I'm sure I can lure them with some food.

I'll keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite and do water changes accodringly. But do I really have to clean the entire display tank? That's insane!

The fins are starting to get frayed a little on the tail fin.

Smoosh up some garlic cloves and put some food in it let it set for 10-15 minutes add to the tank you can get a product called garlic extreme as well Not to sure on it I have never used it I just use a mortar pestal for garlic add the food and then feed the fish a bit later ...If you follow what they say yes you should remove every thing , and scrub it down ... If he is not in the nano do NOT place him there he will contaminate your tank .... you need to place him put him in a QT tank either a 10 gallon or depending if he is small enough a 5 gallon add some PVC pipes for hidey holes for him and a filter and heater boom done QT tank... Just use water out of the tank he is in so you wont have a cycle .. Change out the H20 in the QT daily of about 10% and no more than 15% unless testing indicates it ..

Have you noticed any swelling in the gills? A white slime/mucous starting to cover your fish? If it is clownfish disease, Formalin is one treatment as is a freshwater dip. Brooklynella hostilis is a parasite.

Have an antibiotic handy in case the wounds/sores become infected.

The fact that he's eating goes against the classic symptoms of clownfish disease. Be sure of what you have before treating.

"Typically a standard 37% formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container, intitially all fish are given a quick dip or a prolonged bath, followed by continued treatment and care in a QT."

Smoosh up some garlic cloves and put some food in it let it set for 10-15 minutes add to the tank you can get a product called garlic extreme as well Not to sure on it I have never used it I just use a mortar pestal for garlic add the food and then feed the fish a bit later ...If you follow what they say yes you should remove every thing , and scrub it down ... If he is not in the nano do NOT place him there he will contaminate your tank .... you need to place him put him in a QT tank either a 10 gallon or depending if he is small enough a 5 gallon add some PVC pipes for hidey holes for him and a filter and heater boom done QT tank... Just use water out of the tank he is in so you wont have a cycle .. Change out the H20 in the QT daily of about 10% and no more than 15% unless testing indicates it ..

My nano 12G is my QT tank... I put tank water in it last night and I'm letting it all settle.. And I already have a few PVC Elbows at the bottom. I will remove from display and put into the QT tonight after work.

There's absolutely no way I can remove everything from the display tank... I'm sure I'd stress the crap out of all the other fish in that process.

Have you noticed any swelling in the gills? A white slime/mucous starting to cover your fish? If it is clownfish disease, Formalin is one treatment as is a freshwater dip. Brooklynella hostilis is a parasite.

Have an antibiotic handy in case the wounds/sores become infected.

The fact that he's eating goes against the classic symptoms of clownfish disease. Be sure of what you have before treating.

"Typically a standard 37% formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container, intitially all fish are given a quick dip or a prolonged bath, followed by continued treatment and care in a QT."

The fish does have swelling on the gills. There are some small strips of white that come and go on the body which do seem like mucus.

Right now I have a 12 gallon GT ready to go with display tank water added last night.

I put 1 teaspoon of Formulain 3 this morning and removed activated carbon.

I was planning on putting the pair of clownfish in it tonight.

This is after a 15 min bath of 600Mg/L Formulan 3. and being placed in the QT

I couldn't get the other clown in there with her.. Is that bad? How long should she stay in the QT?

dpp_3606.jpg

dpp_3607.jpg

Much better looking I would QT for no less than 8 weeks till the last sign of it disappears (no signs of it) .Do infact try to get the other one in there with this one and treat them together if possible ..
As for the antibotic I do not recall which one I read so I will not advise on that one for you ...

The white stuff seems to be going away but breathing is still quick and face and gills are still a bit poofy..

I tried getting the male out of the display tank and there is no way.. He is way too quick and my tang wasn't liking any part of it.

Is it critical that I get both clownfish in the QT?

Yes it is critical to try and get them into QT .. This will allow you to control every aspect and try to get the treatments they need , it also makes it easier to remove them when you need to .. Sorry about the loss of your female .. I did not see how long the tank needs to go fallow for them before adding new/ old ones in or back .. as for the breathing keep the water moving for good 02 exchange and perhaps an air stone also would help .. At this point I am sure there is not much you can do other than wait it out with the outlined treatments given ..

Back
Top Bottom