Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

HELP !!! Dead Shrimp and maybe sick Clown ???

Hi All,
Last night I added a Maroon Clownfish to my tank along with some more snails (total now 5 Astrea and 2 Turbo) and a Fire Shrimp. That's all the livestock that's in the tank right now as it's fairly new. Not long after adding them to the tank they seemed to be quite happy. The Clown was bobbing up and down as per expected and the shrimp had found a little cave to hang out in. The snails all made their way to the rock to graze on algae.
This morning, I cannot see the Fire shrimp anywhere, one of the Turbo snails has seemed to disappear and the clown appears quite listless, spending almost all of his time at the top of the tank. No bobbing up and down.
So here's the best I can come up with as regards diagnosis - There's lots of little crevices etc. that a snail or shrimp (especially if molting which I believe is normal after adding to a tank) could hide away in so I'm not necessarily concerned about them just yet. The clown could maybe have a swim bladder problem ? He seems to get thrown about a bit by the powerhead (AquaClear 402) and the return from my Fluval 404. I would expect him to be able to control his water position a little better and not get bullied by the currents quite as much. I've read that a swim bladder problem could be caused by chilling. The clown spent the night hanging out behind the intake pipe for my canister filter, it's possible that there is not a lot of current there and thus the temperature may be slightly lower than the rest of the tank. (I've put in a second thermometer to check that out) I've currently got a single 200W heater in the center of the tank (which is a 55g btw) and the intake for the filter is at the back right corner, with the return to its left aiming at the back-center of the tank. The powerhead is at the rear-left corner aimed at the front-center.
My tank cycle completed over a week ago and has been stable at 0 for both Ammonia and Nitrite since then. Nitrate has been about 10-15 ppm. PH is 8.3 and tank temp is 77. (BTW - The tank temp seems to fluctuate between 76.5 and 77.3 regularly in case that's relevant).
I think that's all the info I've got. Please let me know if you have some ideas on what's happening. Sigh - this is a difficult hobby !!
thanks,
Brendan.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update - The Fire Shrimp died I found it lying on the bottom when I got home today. The Clown seems to be doing much better and ate some Formula 2 flakes. I just installed an AquaC Remora Pro PS but I guess that's not really gonna do much for a while right ? At the moment it's producing a lot of white foam - does that signify anything ?

I also picked up an O2 test kit, which I had previously not been testing for and it looks like that could be a big problem. The O2 content is very low - 2mg/l !! I don't know why that is. The water surface has very good movement from the powerhead and filter return. Will the bubble injection of the PS help to raise the O2 content ? I can add an airstone but I thought that the purpose of that was to disturb the surface and since that is already well in hand I'm not sure where to go next.

Some other info that may be relevant - I have a reasonable amount of Algae growing on the rocks but the snails are helping to take care of that and it is decreasing. Some Algae also appears on the surface of the sand bed and a little on the glass. My light is a fairly weak 40W 48" 50/50 Coralife tube and I'm running it for 8 hours a day. Should I increase this ? I tried lowering it to help control the Algae.

Please help ! I really don't want to lose this beautiful Clown. I'm already pretty sick about the Shrimp.

Thanks ....

10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are you running a FOWLR or reef? What is in the fluval? Whats in the aqua clear? You may be skimming out too much bacteria with all that mechanical filtration. My guess is that you need more light (at least 4x what you have and up the time to 12 hrs) and more bio filtration (LR). What are your chems now? They may have spiked since you added the critters. Try feeding brine shirmp or some other 'real' food. You may want to up the temp to 80.

Exactly how old is the tank?
50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Will the bubble injection of the PS help to raise the O2 content ?
Not really, the bubble will be coated with DOC so there will be little gas exchange except when the return disturbs the surface of the water. I would be suspect of the O2 kit, I think they can be fairly unreliable and I also believe it is quite easy7 to skew the results just from handling the water.

Quote:
Update - The Fire Shrimp died
How did you acclimate the shrimp? They are very sensitive to temp, ph and salinity changes.

What are your water parameters (numbers please). Are there any other signs from the clown?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the responses guys. I've just got a FOWLR right now so I thought the lighting would be sufficient for that. I've got about 50lbs LR and 80lbs LS. The tank has been running for coming up on 4 weeks now and the Ammonia and Nitrite have both been at 0 for the last 10 days or so (Still at 0 right now). Nitrate is about 10-15.

I suspect that acclimation may well have been the culprit for losing the shrimp. I placed the bag in my tank for about 15mins first to allow temp to stabilize. I then added about a half cup of tank water every 5 mins or so for the next 20mins before finally releasing the shrimp into the tank. I'm guessing I should have been much more diligent than that, perhaps with a slow drip feed ??

Current Water params :

Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 10-15
PH : 8.3
SG : 1.023
Temp : 77

The Clown is now behaving very well. He's exploring around the whole tank and is exhibiting the trademark bobbing motion again. He ate fairly well earlier so I'm hoping he's back to normal. I am currently not using the venturi attachment for the powerhead - should I ?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Scratch my previous reply re the Clown's behaviour. Although that was accurate at the time he is now hanging out at the top of the tank, staying in pretty much the same spot. No bobbing or any behaviour like that right now.........
Old 01-31-2004, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

And again I have to update - he now is back to normal behaviour. Do fish get tired and take a break every now and then ??
Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, the clown may have adopted the corner of your tank as a host Keep us posted of any physical signs of illness. Sloughing of the skin, difficulty breathing, excess mucus production, white spots (looks like sugar or salt grains), coated in a light colored dusty coating, cloudy eyes etc...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You may be right.

So far none of the signs you listed above - fingers crossed.

To follow on on the comments above regarding my lighting....I've been reading in the Conscientious Marine Aquarist that lighting of approx 3-5 watts per gallon is appropriate for a FOWLR wirh perhaps some inverts in there. With that in mind, do you think the CSL PC system with 2x65W 10,000K and 2x65W Ultra-Actinic with 4 moonlights is a good unit to go with ? Eventually I'd like to have some Anemones/Shrooms but I don't want to get into a full-blown high-intensity reef system.

Edit : Does the 10,000K tube provide a full spectrum light or should I be looking for 5,500K ?

thanks,
Brendan.

Tags
clown, dead, dead shrimp, ick, rim, shrimp, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com