Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help! Dying colt/Kenya tree...

I got some new corals the other day, a mushroom, Xenia and a Kenya tree. I put everything in a perfect place in the aquarium and all my coral are doing fine except for my Kenya tree. I could not find a good place to put it because it's so small. Every were I put it it flies out of place cause of the strong flow and it stresses it out(closes polyps and loses color n shrinks) will it die? Do I still have a chance? We're else can I put it or prop it up? It didn't come with a frag plug, and I don't want to put it on the sand bed cause I'm afraid it not enough light for him down there and since it's so small it could get covered by sand getting tossed over it.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also accidentally squished it cause it got caught underneath 2 rocks.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	200645Click image for larger version

Views:	71
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	200645

Old 10-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

kenya tree is very resilient. it might shrink or shrivel for now but it will bounce right back within a week if you take diligent care for it. for instance, put it in a medium flow area and glue it to a piece of live rock with an epoxy. turn off the powerheads during feeding and make sure you feed it once every few days with quality filter food or baby brine shrimp as it will need the energy to bounce back. i started my reef tank with a kenya tree and i didn't exactly know what i was doing. my salinity was too low for any coral and my light wasnt strong enough. but after all the ups and downs, my kenya has resilient bounce back. now it's the biggest thing there is in my tank. my frag of kenya didn't come with a plug as well, but i placed it in a low flow area so that it would attach to the live rock naturally. now i placed the kenya along with the LR in a medium flow area and it has taken a strong foothold onto the rock and nothing will shake it off. but the bottom line is good luck, it should be fine.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the help, and for g-luck, I will need it.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Kenya tree got better. I placed it at the bottom with less flow and where it won't be disturbed.Click image for larger version

Views:	66
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	200919

Tags
colt, dyi, dying, kenya, kenya tree

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com