HELP DYING STAR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken_wied

Aquarium Advice Regular
My chocolate chip star is not doing well. Sudden onset as of 2 days ago. Limbs are disintigrating. Water levels are ok. Has a skimmer in tank, and a goby. Cant figure it out. Help. Thanks, Ken

Is this a new addition or have you had it awhile? IME, once they start disintegrating, it is all over.

I agree that once they do the downturn then it`s not much you can do. I dont know how long you have had them but they must not be exposed to air at all. That `s not just CCstars but really all of them. How long have you had him?

IVE HAD HIM FOR 2 YEARS. ONLY TIME HE EXPOSES TO AIR IS WHEN HE CLIMBS GLASS AND HIS SUCTION CUPS GO OUT OF WATER, BUT THAT IS SOMETHING HE HAS DONE ALL THE TIME.

Listed water parameters would be nice ;) Other than initial acclimation issues, water quality always seems to be the biggest factor. If this choco star was already an established resident, did you ever feed it? Any possibility of it being picked on?

ken_wied said:
ONLY TIME HE EXPOSES TO AIR IS WHEN HE CLIMBS GLASS AND HIS SUCTION CUPS GO OUT OF WATER, BUT THAT IS SOMETHING HE HAS DONE ALL THE TIME.

That wont hurt him. Mine do that all the time. As long as his mouth stays under he`s OK. I agree with James, Lets post some tank numbers and see what we have.

PH-8
AMMONIA EXTREMELY LOW
NITRATES 0
NITRITES 0

I WOULD FEED HIM A LARGE KRILL OR ALGAE WAFER ONCE A WEEK. HE'S MADE IT THIS FAR, ITS JUST FRUSTRATING. DOG FACE ATE SOME OF HIS "CHOCOLATE CHIPS" ONCE A LONG TIME AGO, BUT THEY ARE BETTER..

Ammonia should be zero, but then again it could be due to disintegration. Have you done a water change yet? If not, do so. If there is major necrosis do siphon it off or remove to prevent further fouling. I take it the puffer is no longer kept with the star?

Water change was done 3 wks ago. But i usually do it monthly and have never had a problem. The puffer is in a 75 gal now. he is in a 29 but is only 4 inches.

Back
Top Bottom