First, the essentials: 125gal mixed reef with ~180lbs live rock, 30lbs of which are in the wet/dry filter as rubble. Sg
1.026, pH 8.4, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 1, Ca
440-460 (I hate Ca
/Alkalinity 8.6/3.09 (Salifert tests). I've had this tank set up for about 2.5-3 years. I'm running 3 units of ChemPure, and when this problem came up, I put in another bag of regular carbon just in case there was coral warfare going on.
The problem: My frogspawn started dying off about 2 weeks ago. I watched three heads die off (in anguish!) last week. I thought it might be in too high of a flow, so I moved it to a spot with lesser flow. Now, two other branches (four heads) quit extending out as much as they normally do. My LFS
recommended cutting off the dead branches, which I did yesterday. Today, I came home to find that the remaining three heads (the original frag I started with!) is also starting extend its arms much less.
There is a hammer coral less than six inches away from this same frogspawn that is doing fabulously, and has doubled in size in the last month. Tonight however, on the other side of the tank, I also discovered that my torch coral, normally a showpiece, has one head that looks like its shedding and is pulling away from its skeleton. It also does not look like it's extension is as far as usual.
Help! I really don't want to think about losing more Euphillya heads, but I'm not sure what else to do.