Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help!! Euphillya problems!

First, the essentials: 125gal mixed reef with ~180lbs live rock, 30lbs of which are in the wet/dry filter as rubble. Sg 1.026, pH 8.4, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 1, Ca 440-460 (I hate Ca tests!), KH/Alkalinity 8.6/3.09 (Salifert tests). I've had this tank set up for about 2.5-3 years. I'm running 3 units of ChemPure, and when this problem came up, I put in another bag of regular carbon just in case there was coral warfare going on.

The problem: My frogspawn started dying off about 2 weeks ago. I watched three heads die off (in anguish!) last week. I thought it might be in too high of a flow, so I moved it to a spot with lesser flow. Now, two other branches (four heads) quit extending out as much as they normally do. My LFS recommended cutting off the dead branches, which I did yesterday. Today, I came home to find that the remaining three heads (the original frag I started with!) is also starting extend its arms much less.

There is a hammer coral less than six inches away from this same frogspawn that is doing fabulously, and has doubled in size in the last month. Tonight however, on the other side of the tank, I also discovered that my torch coral, normally a showpiece, has one head that looks like its shedding and is pulling away from its skeleton. It also does not look like it's extension is as far as usual.

Help! I really don't want to think about losing more Euphillya heads, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you see any brown jelly-like substance on the dead/dying heads? If so, it could be the dreaded "brown jelly disease" which seems to focus on Euphyllia species. Brown jelly disease is highly contagious.

If no brown jelly, then I'd agree with you... some type of chemical warfare going on. Any leathers in the tank? What other corals do you have in there?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
kurt wat does leathers have to do with this sorry to interupt this thread but i lost a torch unexplained and a leather that got sick the next few weeks after.....
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leathers can just be really mean when it comes to chemical warfare.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #5

No brown jelly disease. I did add a colt coral about three weeks ago.... but I've also had a small polyp leather in there for years. The colt is very far from both Euphyllia corals. I have mushrooms, xenia, zoos and palys, dendros, a duncan, two small acans, open brain, blastos.... they all seem to be doing okay.

I thought running carbon would alleviate any chemical warfare going on. Was I wrong? Will I have to take out the leathers???
Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

" I'm running 3 units of ChemPure," when did you add the Chempure to your tank?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #7

Two units I added maybe six weeks ago; the third, about four weeks ago. They are supposed to be changed every four or five months, no? I have the changes scheduled into my computer's calendar so I will remember to change them out, and I change them one or two at a time. ....does that make a difference?

The regular carbon I'll only leave in for about a week or two.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read somewhere and I can't find it now that chempure had some ill affects on corals at higher doses. You might want to remove it for a while to see if that helps. and carbon is only good for at the most 1 week also, then it starts to leach elements back into the tank water.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #9

Higher doses????? What do you consider higher doses of ChermiPure? I'm only using the bare minimum required for a 125g tank. And I thought these 'units' were highly researched and proven to last at least the 3mo period that I've been using them.

I know you shouldn't leave carbon in too long, but is there such a thing as using too much? Will more alleviate any coral warfare going on?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you went from 1 unit to 3 units, you do the math. and no I don't think you can use to much carbon.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com