Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

He may develp another crown but it might not happen for a month IME. Or... he'll crawl out one night and make another tube elsewhere.

If you've seen him, that's a good sign. Still alive.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve had several times when mine would drop it and grow another one. That part does not concern me but what does is why. They drop it because of stress. Make sure of excellent water conditions and that nothing is attacking it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My water quality seems fine, and I've not seen anything attacking it. Just a bit of an algae bloom.

I thought if the worm leaves the tube there's only a very small chance he'll survive?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a good sign that you see him in and out . It is not always stress that causes the decrown but it is one that could be a cause , they can drop them for any reason from old and tattered to stress or H20 quality . I can say tho it is a small chance of survival if they leave as I have had it happen 1 or 2 times , where they up and leave and die I have only had one leave and rebuild but that was not to my knowledge he came up missing and I found him a few months later So it can happen both ways ... It really is more or less a crap shoot that you will get verying opinions both ways ... It really is a bad sign IME when they leave the tube ... it is almost always an irritant that causes them to flee ... He should be fine tho the new crown will be smaller than the first but they will continue to grow . Tho IME they never seem to get as big as the one previous ? Not sure why that is tho ..
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Sadie.

Well, it's now afternoon here, and I still keep seeing him pop out then back in, I really don't want him to jump out!

What sort of waterflow do they like? I have a powerhead pointing in its direction at the moment, should I move the powerhead?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

No direct flow IMO. You want a gentle breeze that they can catch food from the water with, but nothing that bends the tube.

If a powerhead has been pointing right at it, that could be one source of irritation I believe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes ,move the ph as austinsdad states they do not like direct flow , just enough to keep algea from forming on them and just enough to bring food to them , they should sway like if you were gently blowing on a cut to cool it . Not too hard not too light Their crown (when he regrows it ) should just gently move to and fro
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I just saw a new crown! He's not let it fully out yet, but I saw it peeping out! It's a tiny one, but it's quick isn't it, it was only a few days ago when he lost the last one!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Good news!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have often theroized that they start to grow a new one that pushes off the old . They are pretty quick to get a small crown but it takes a bit to regrow bigger or even as big as the old ones . It is next to impossible to emulate compleatly the ocean and its perameters /foods ect
Glad to see he has started a new crown

Tags
eat, feather duster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com