Help - fish breathing rapidly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlc

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tang and foxface are breathing very rapid this morning and I don't know why!
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5
Ph 8.2-8.4
Salinity 1.020-1.021

I don't think the fin coloration is an indicator of the problem - my FF (magnifica) has red fins, he seems fine.

Re-titled and moved your post. I think you'll get more help that way than just "Help" and in the general fish forum. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your foxface.

2 things to my knowledge cause heavy breathing and rapid breathing O2 diffecencys and Heavy metal poisoning ... what kind of flow do you have in your tank

I have a level 2 and 3 koalia power head and an air stone at the back of the tank :) I also have a skimmer and a bio wheel filter

2 things to my knowledge cause heavy breathing and rapid breathing O2 diffecencys and Heavy metal poisoning ... what kind of flow do you have in your tank

And also ich. The parasite will get on the fishes gills and cause heavy and rapid breathing.

Wouldn't the fish be covered in white spots though? They have been rubbing themselves and the blue tang has been having a twitching behaviour we thought maybe parasites?

Are your fish turning pale? maybe a stocking list and tank size would help us out .

but yes "rubbing" is a sign of parasite. what is your temp at. usually first sign of stuff like this i raise my temp to around 80-82 just as percaution

55 gallon
1 blue tang
1 foxface (died)
1 bicolor angel
2 black oscellaris clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
1 neon goby
9 turbo snails

No they don't seem pale. They seem like they can't breathe or something. Temp is 78! Should I turn it up? My 110 is still cycling so they can't go in there

I thought so but I tested the cycling tank and ammonia levels came up right away. It was very odd to because my tang started hiding last night at 6pm and foxface was fine. This morning they were both panting(?) with there mouths open. Foxface died within an hour of me seeing it this morning! I did a 20 gallon water change with prime just in case and nothing has really changed. The tang is eating well but for sure looks different and is swimming sporadically and still panting. By this afternoon my new clowns who weren't rubbing or panting started rubbing on the rocks and glass!

i don't think a parasite could screw up the entire tank that quick like that. take a sample to the store to double check.

look carefully at your clowns are you absolutely sure that there is no blotching or spots on them. this sounds almost like what started happening to me before i diagnosed brooklynella in my tank. lost alot of fish to it before i realized what was happening. but i did notice blotching in my clowns just had no idea what was causing it.

do you notice excess mucas or anything like that in your fish?

I an take pictures what would ya like to see? Nope there is no blotching at all that's what puzzling me! Today she seems almost 100% back to life eating very well and swimming around but I am still
Concerned cause whatever it was killed a very healthy fish! They are fed pellet and flake daily and half a cube of spinula brine with garlic and selecon every other day! Right now they are on just brine and garlic to boost immune anything else I should do?

i'm just trying to figure out what's going on here. as it stands now, i'm unsure and would like no stone left unturned. i really would like to see brads fish when they were sick. googling brooklynella brings up images of sick fish with lots of different looking defects. everything from marks, to bruising, to white spots. since i've never dealt with it, i can't really comment on it.

Here is some pics of the crew

Attachments

• image-1427532748.jpg
    image-1427532748.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image-1114606037.jpg
    image-1114606037.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1084625722.jpg
    image-1084625722.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1917655558.jpg
    image-1917655558.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 126
  • image-527343980.jpg
    image-527343980.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 122
im going to rule out brooklynella looking at the pictures. Mr X im not sure if i have any pictures but ill dig through and see what i can find . i try not to take many pictures of dying or ill stock. depresses me .

how are the fish doing now?

yeah...i sometimes take pictures of things that are out of the ordinary, so i can catalog it and/or ask others about it. that's why my photobucket folder is so full.
i don't think too many folks like their livestock dying. when i used to clean my filter socks out, i would try to save all the bristle worms and pods before it went in the wash!

Back
Top Bottom