Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! Fish Dead...

Hello, I just found this great community and am looking forward to reading more of your great comments.

We have an established tank, it's about 3 years old. Yesterday when my husband came home from work, he found that all of our fish had died. The night before they were fine, i was watching them for quite a while. That morning my husband checked them (and the water level) and everything was fine. We just don't know what happened. I checked the water conditions, and even with the fish dying in it, the only things that were off was that the ph was 8.6 and calcium was 600ppm. We try to keep the ph at 8.3 and the calcium at around 460ppm's. The only thing that has changed recently is we put in a new ro filter, but we have checked it several times and the water tests fine.

We are just at a loss, we had about 9 fish in there, with some of the tangs pretty good size. We had 4 tangs, 1 clown, 2 anthais, 1 damsel, 1 golden hamlet. None of the corals are affected and neither are the snails and crabs, they all seem fine. We have been doing water changes about weekly for a while to try to fight nitrates, which are not out of the world but higher than we would like.

Does anyone have any idea what we could have done wrong. We are going to try again and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thank you and look forward to joining your community,
Mary

155 Bow front Reef tank w/
60 gal sump w/ refruguim, 20# of live rock, and protein skimmer and pump
200+ of Live Rock, with a 5-6 in sand bed.
3 Pendent Lights w/ 250K each
wave machine w/ 6 power head

2 P. Clowns, 1 Tomini Bristletooth Tang, 4 Shrimps, 4 emenaral crabs & lots of other snails & hermit crabs
Walpurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, sorry for your loss. I would think some type of contaminant but if your corals are fine, that seems unlikely. I'm sure someone will be by with more ideas.
Welcome to AA

Old 05-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow 8O sorry to hear of your losses, that is really awful. I would definately look at contaminants or even possibly an electrical discharge. You may want to get a grounding probe and run the tank to see if it "shorts". I don't know of a biological disease that would cause an overnight total loss with no prior symptoms. Could there have been a power outage or heater stuck on? That shouldn't have done this overnight though. Something severe definately happened, hopefully you will find out what...
Old 05-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So sorry for your loss. The unknown is a terrible part of it.

Welsome to AA....wish it were under better circumstances.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #5

Thank you Everyone for the warm welcome's!!

Just a little more info: We do have a grounding probe in the sump, so i don't think that could be it, but and this is a big but - my husband and I both heard one of the power heads made a clicking sound whenever it came on that morning. When my husband called our local fish experts, they said that if it shorted out that it wouldn't hurt the fish, cause they can't be used as a ground. There was also only about a 6 hour window during the day yesterday that anything could have happened, as my husband worked from home for a couple of hours in the morning. If the power had surged or gone out, we had no other signs as the clocks weren't mess up or anything. As for the heater, that was my first question to my husband, as his also, and no the tank was right at 79 degrees. My son had a 55 gal tank that the heater got stuck on and he lost several fish due to this.

I just don't know.....one thought, maybe someone will know if this can happened. Our fish tank is in our family room which the kitchen overlooks. We have an eat-in-kitchen, which is on the opposite side of the room from the fish tank. Sunday, i took the wallpaper down from under the chair rail and painted that area only. It's only about 3 square feet of total space, could that have caused it? My husband and i just can't believe that little amount of paint so far from the tank - it's about 15 feet away, could have caused it but we have never painted in the house before and would it have taken 36 hours...what do y'all think?

155 Bow front Reef tank w/
60 gal sump w/ refruguim, 20# of live rock, and protein skimmer and pump
200+ of Live Rock, with a 5-6 in sand bed.
3 Pendent Lights w/ 250K each
wave machine w/ 6 power head

2 P. Clowns, 1 Tomini Bristletooth Tang, 4 Shrimps, 4 emenaral crabs & lots of other snails & hermit crabs
Walpurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I doubt it was the paint. I recently painted my fish room and it didn't have any adverse effects on any of my tanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same here. I just painted my entire house and my tank is only 10 gal. The only thing that bothered the fish was moving the tank away from the wall enough to get behind it.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #8

Whew!! that's a relief! I have been sick thinking i killed them.....well, still no idea then.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
steve-s

Do you have a sea cucumber or sea apple in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Still I would not rule paint fumes out. I think ventilation might have helped. Did you have windows open. Also have you sprayed furniture polish or glass cleaner in this room. Just some ideas. Sorry about the loss.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com