Help, fish dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sim1killa

Aquarium Advice Regular
background 55g tank
ground started tank about 2 months ago. used cured live rock and cycled tank in about 2 weeks. after perimeters were constant for about a week I added a solor fairy wrasse and ocellaris clown. they were doing good for about a month so I figured I would be good to add some more fish. (went to trusted fish store) bought a trio of fire fish. they looked very nice and healthy and even ate. put them in my tank and acclimated well were out within 1/2 hr and looked good. went to bed and woke up early next morning to see one of the trio of fire fish on its side breathing heavy within 1/2hr he was dead. everyone else in tank looked fine. that was Sunday morning. I feed fish twice a day early in morning before I go to work and once I get home. this morning fed fish everyone ate. came home clown dead bleached in color. the 2 remaining fire fish look fine; however, the solor fairy wrasse (my baby) his making this kissing face with its mouth, is very lethargic, and wobbly( he is not falling over; however he is not as active as he usually is.

Ok what course of action should I take. it might be Brooklynella; however, I did not see any mucus in any of the fishes gills. I saw no spotting either so i'm assuming its not marine ich.

on sunday their was a very low trite spike when I tested. so there most of been some ammonia for even a short period of time. I tested levels again 4 hrs later and everything was ok.
Lastly, parameters.
am 0
trits 0
trats 5

what would you do to help the fish survive if anything.
just fyi I have learned my lesson I will qt all future fish. I even had a 10g hospital tank set up. I just trusted my lfs advice sadly

What makes you think they are sick? I would do a 25% water change for starters. If something unforeseen is happening then a waterchange can help alleviate the problem.

Unless you see a physical sign of disease i would not suspect that as the problem.

I did the 25% water change. the wrasse is propping himself against a rock to hold him self upright. the fire fish seem fine

everything was going great until I the fire fish. besides a 10% water change I did about 3 weeks ago and toping off with ro/di and feeding with mysis shrimp and flake that all I have been doing.

Any red lesions? Any open wounds? Any fins that look to be tattered? Likely a disease they brought with them to act that quickly when no other parameters had changed.

the fire fish had a red spot along his kill when he died. when I can home to see the clown dead over 2 days later he was pail white with no red on him. the wrasse is still alive and rather lethargic. when I woke up with morning he was leaning against the front glass. not like him at all. is there anything i can treat him to help him. feed him garlic anything? he seems to be effects for a much longer time the the previous 2 because they didn't show any signs.

Run a UV sterilizer if you have one to get some of the nasties out of the water if they are there. If you don't have one don't sweat it it isn't a solution to the issue.

I'm no expert on fish disease or sickness, but when I read that I see alot of fish added at once and probably caused a small mini cycle from the spike in ammonia from all the new fish. You never would have caught it when testing. Keep with water changes weekly you won't see that show up again. If you can set up a QT tank, I would do so for your wrasse to see if you can't nurse him back to health before anything dire happens.

don't have a uv sterilizer. would feeding garlic soaked food help? any other remedies? he made it through the night so will see what happens.

Well from what your saying your wrasse has no signs of disease and usually disease does not kill that fast. I would suspect ammonia spike not disease unless you have a good reason to think it was disease.

non- of my invertebrates were effected. Is there anything I can do help my live stock?

I tried to get a picture of him last night but I just couldn't get a good one. He is a little lethargic; however, he seems to be a little better. I will keep observing him and if I can snap a pic I will.

Well from what your saying your wrasse has no signs of disease and usually disease does not kill that fast. I would suspect ammonia spike not disease unless you have a good reason to think it was disease.

Grossly inaccurate. I have seen diseases such as Uronema, bacterial infections, and even Crypt. kill fish in under 24hrs. Take an ammonia reading, but unless the tank isn't cycled there shouldn't be Nh3 rises with fish additions in an established tank.

I have been taking ammonia reading every day since the first fish died. and the ammonia has been reading 0. I did have a low nitrate reading of 5 or 10, but after a water change that became o also. I am watching my fish like a hawk and hopefully this passes. is there anything I can do to entice my wrasse to each he hasn't eaten in 2 days.

Try feeding garlic soaked food but do so sparingly cause you don't want to add more load to the system. A couple days without food isn't a big deal, target feed a couple garlic soaked pellets or mysis and hopefully he will come around.

Innovator said:
Grossly inaccurate. I have seen diseases such as Uronema, bacterial infections, and even Crypt. kill fish in under 24hrs. Take an ammonia reading, but unless the tank isn't cycled there shouldn't be Nh3 rises with fish additions in an established tank.

Notice i said usually, not always.

Back
Top Bottom