Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about the angel.

In general, I think that putting fish in a smaller than recommended tank leads to problems. A 15g difference (75 v 90g for example) might not be as bad, but when it starts to get into "I've got a yellow tang in a 35g", its likely not going to work. I'd bet that 80%,or more, of the people that post here with fish troubles are ones that have done that. It may not be scientifically proven, but I think that if a fish is supposed to be in something like a 75g and they are in a tank half that size, the fact that it is small now does not matter to the degree that some people think. It's just a bad idea. That's just my opinion though.

For other orange fish...Flame Hawks are really interesting and I believe are ok in a 35g. There are probably some wrasses with red or orange coloring that might work. I think many are 75g, but seem to recall that there are some that work in around 35-50??? Check out places like liveaquaria.com or bluezoo aquatics.com for fish ideas and tank sizes (and compatibility).

Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am partial to orange fish also...love the mc cosker flasher but is a jumper. I also have an open tank and i put silver colored egg crate on top. The light still looks like an open top but its harder for them to jump through. However, a couple of weeks ago the top went askew and while i was gone...my flasher jumped. Found him a couple of days later in a bag hanging on the door. Jumped out of tank right into bag. What a shot! Anyway, I'm currently looking for another one. Going to give it one more chance. Maybe some sort of red fish would look good. Maybe a hawkfish or catalina goby?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Catalina Gobies are beautiful, but they are cold water fish, so the typical temps for other fish are too high. Learned that the hard way several years ago when I bought a couple for a reef tank and they died within a month.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Catalina goby looks great but u r right, there is a temp issue. I will lookk for a pic of the hawkfish, thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

The hawkfish are aggressive, so make sure the fish you have are not peaceful. They will get picked apart. I recently purchased a arc eye hawkfish that the lfs told me was "not aggressive towards other fish in their tanks" and it just about killed my flasher wrasse. Just saying...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not all hawks are labeled as aggressive, but arc-eyes are (they are really cool though). Flame and Long nose Hawks are semi aggressive (i think spotted hawks are aggressive too?) so you still stand a chance of getting some aggression in a smaller tank.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a flame hawk in a 210 and he has not been a problem. I have shrimp so I try to keep him fed. He loves pellets for bottom feeders.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hmmmhhh... aggressive might not be so good in my tank, the little Blue Tang may suffer. The Clarkii's just calmed down too, they behaved more aggressive when I still had the Undulated Trigger (it came with the tank and killed another fish and had to go to a new home). Will see...

Can you tell me more about pellet food? Why/ when do you need it? I feed 1 cube frozen meat or Brine shrimp every other day and occationally a small piece of sea weed. Is that enough volume and variety?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sometimes I feed shrimp pellets for bottom feeders for my gobies, shrimp, and flame hawk. They love them. My royal gamma will eat them too.

Tags
angel, dyi, dying, flame

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com