Help for Coral Clove Polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aldo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Saturday October 25th I put my first two corals in my tank. One was a hammer and the other a coral clove. They have been doing well up to yesterday afternoon. I noticed my coral clove is lovely in the centre but seems to be drooping and not opening at the edges. I have since moved it to a little higher in the tank with less current. My numbers are nitrate 0, calcium 450, PO4 is .03, amonia 0, PH 8.3, KH 11, nitrite 0, salinity 22, temperature 80 degrees - 66 gallon tank.

I have read up on the coral but my experience is limited and would appreciate receiving advice that would help me.

Thank you.

Aldo

Other than your salinity being low, I'd say your parameters are quite good. What kind of lighting do you have - and (if you know) what kind of lighting did it come from?

Sometimes it takes things several days to acclimate to new tank conditions. Unless you are certain that it is being stressed by the spot you placed it in, do not move it. Every time you move a coral, it has to re-accliamte to changes in lighting, water flow/current, etc. Acclimation takes energy and can eventually weaken/kill the coral.

I'd get a turkey baster and blow it off gently. The clove (and star) polyps do not like it when detritus accumulates on them.

Good luck!

:p
Thanks clove looks great in new spot i think it likes it there.
my hammer looks a little shrunk but i'll wait a little before moving it.
VHO 440 w are my lights depth of tank 20".
Thanks for your help any more to offer highly appreciated.
:mrgreen:
aldo (learning and getting better)

Aldo,

You're very welcome. Keep a close eye on the hammer - that's a good amount of light for that size tank, so it may need to go lower, or even to a spot where it receives indirect lighting. Leave it where it is for 2-3 days, but watch it closely. If it doesn't look good/doesn't open up, move it toward the bottom of the tank - to a semi-shaded spot, where it will get medium water flow/current.

My only other suggestion would be that you slowly (over the course of a couple weeks) raise your salinity to 1.025 - 1.026.

HTH,

:cry:
Came home to night to find the top of my clove covered with ALGAE
please HELP i dont want to loose it what do i do ?
aldo

What kind of algae? Blow it off with a turkey baster if you can. Do you have a lot of nuisance algae in the tank?

:cry:
Glad I can rely on you for help.

Yes there is quite a bit of algae suddenly in the tank with a lot of air bubbles that look like little balls of mercury. I tried very hard to blow off the algae from the clove. I got most of it off. I have noticed now that even though there is some algae covering the sides of the polyps, the tops seem to be showing the whiteness and some have opened.

Thanks.
Aldo

there is quite a bit of algae suddenly in the tank with a lot of air bubbles that look like little balls of mercury.

This sounds like Cyano, though I'm not sure of that. What color is the algae? Is this tank relatively new? How do your nitrate & phosphate levels test?

Any chance you can get a pic of the tank, the algae, and the Clove?

(y)
Good morning Reeflady,
MIRACLE DRUG ,spoke to my LFS gave me an antibiotic "Erythromycin"
1 tablet per 20g =2 1/2 tablets close skimmer do nothing for 3 days if not all gone repeat.
Today all bubbles are gone algae falling(melting) off glass & rock fish look great & so does inverts & coral :onfire: :onfire: .
NH3- 0
PH-8.2
KH-13
NO2-0
NO3-0
Ca-? tester no good
Po2-.02
Sal-.23

clove looks alittle better.
bye the way got an OPEN BRAIN & CANDY CORAL Fantastic.

Can not thank you enough for your HELP !!!!!!!!!!!
aldo

MIRACLE DRUG ,spoke to my LFS gave me an antibiotic "Erythromycin"

Yep, since Cyano is primarily a bacteria, an antiobiotic will make the symptoms go away. Keep a close eye though, as it won't necessarily "cure" the cyano.

If whatever caused the cyano to thrive in the first place (nigh nutrient leves, low water flow, old lights, etc.) is not changed, the cyano will likely return.

Hope it stays away for you!

:bulb:
Hi
Bin giving a lot of thought to what you said about finding the cause to the problem,
4 new lights
3 PH
NITra 0
NITri 0
POS 0.2
CAL 450
PH 8.3
OM 0
Lights on 10am cl 10pm
Sal 0.24
Large Ehime Filter
Large Ehime w/d
tank is 14 weeks old
Temp 80

All looks good to my inexperience mind so i don't know.
Do you see any HOLES in the above that can be causing this?

aldo

This will do it. Actually, anything for phosphate readings over 0.06 can cause algae issues.

My Salifert test kit lists results as follows:

0.03 - good
0.10 - critical
0.25 coral growth retarded.

I know that when we fought our cyano battle back at the beginning of the year, we pretty much narrowed it down to *elevated* phosphates - which, at the time, were just shy of 0.10.

I'd try to increase water circulation/flow as much as possible (cyano thrives in low flow areas), but I'd also look at (1) testing your makeup water for P04 -- if you're not using RO/DI, you could be introducing phos. with your water changes. (2) - Look at how much you are feeding, how often, and what you are feeding (including all additives).

If you're not adding P04 with your water changes, do a series of 20%, twice-weekly water changes, siphoning all visible cyano (if any returns) from the tank when you do so. See if that brings your P04 level down.

Good luck!!

Checked tap water reads 0.1 so from the start i'm a little high ??????
I have a phos pad in my filter now .
Do you think i should put in an another one?
Thanks (i feel that i'm starting to be a PEST)
aldo

Using tap water is quite likely a good part of the problem. you'll want to pick yourself up an RO filter at a minimum. (thats what i have) or if you have the cash, an RO/DI unti is preferred.

You're not a pest. That's what this forum is for. Tap water is usually a big *evil* when it comes to reef tanks - it can not only add phosphates, but a wealth of other nasty things - heavy metals being at the top of the list.

Instead of spending the $$ on phosphate sponges - you're going to go broke if your makeup water has that level of P04 - spend some $$ on a good RO/DI filter - stop using tap water - you'll save yourself a slew of probelms.

HTH,

Hi
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I was told to day by my LFS that when i do a water change i should Syphon coral on the bottom too .
1 i thought that at this stage of the tank the bottom is now LC and syphon ing would take all the good things needed for the LC.
2 how do you syphon under the LR ?
aldo

Aldo,

Sorry for not replying sooner. If you have a DSB, no, you should not siphon it. If you have CC substrate, you should siphon it to remove large particles of detritus that could accumulate.

As far as siphoning under LR, I wouldn't attempt it. Get a turkey baster, and give your LR a good "blowing off" to remove any accumulated detritus, and put it into the water column, so that it can be removed by your skimmer. I would do this weekly.

HTH,

Hi :wave:
Just wanted to let you know that i got "TAP WATER FILTER" made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.Inc. They make RO/DI Filters to much $$$$ for me, this is a DI and work great, takes out all chem---everything Phos etc.
when the CYLINDER turns black change it app 50g $35 cdn.
Tank starting to look great very very little algae got 2 African snails work great .
Soon as i get a picture & learn how to post it i will.
Could not have done this with out YOU. (y) (y)
aldo :mrgreen: :onfire: :onfire:

Back
Top Bottom