Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You want to do it right. I live in Brunswick and have a couple spare 10 gallons. You can qt and treat.
Interested?

Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks quarryshark....I really apperciate the offer but I don't have the other things I would need either....heater skimmer,etc... The spots seem to have gone away. we did a partial water change yesterday (the first since we got her) and added some red slime remover. Also we found out that we forgot to plug back in the heater...it was only off about 20 min. I am thinking that all that combined stressed her out...What do you guys think? possible? And six-line I don't think he was trying to bash you... I hope all goes well with your tank..Yellows are my favorite fish!! :0)

Old 06-21-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sue, if you go to the Home Page and look on the right where it says Welcome b3noodles, under that you'll see a link to update your profile.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have the heater, filter, top, pvc pipe, everything you need. Don't need/want a skimmer if treating with meds.
Even though the spots went away, they will probably come back ever worse (if its ich). Its going through its life cycle. Be ready to treat.
Open offer.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Atari!! I was able to find it and it worked! Yeah! Also Kevin thanks six-line (although I am sure he is a good guy) has been telling me since I started posting that my tank is too small for a yellow tang. And now hes going to try a school of them.. I wish him luck I really do but your right just because someone asks a question is no reason to go off on them. I am new and still (always) learning thats why I post here to hopefully learn what I am doing right and wrong! Quarryshark I will talk to hubby when he gets home and see what he thinks. We do have another 55 gal but I think that will be a bit big. I will definatly get back with you and let you know. I just want whats best for my tank! Thanks All!! Sue
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quarry..I pm'd you but not sure how that works.... I am thinking I will need to qt her. She seemed to be doing fine.. no spots and then last night we looked at her and she was covered again. I don't want my main to crash either. Please if you get this let me know if you are still willing to help me out if not I will have to figure something else out. Thanks Quarry! Sue
Old 06-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Sue, A QT is the best way to go, as many have mentioned. In the mean time I agree with saberry, go ahead and increase the temp of your tank to about 84. This does not really kill the ick parasite but rather it speeds up the life cycle, causing it to die off faster. Ick ussually will last 4-6 weeks, with a water temp increase you can get it down to 2-3 weeks. Once it is off of your fish, keep in mind htat it will still be present in the water and new comers to the tank will still be prone to getting it. Good luck and I hope it works out for you...Lando
Old 06-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's good to know. In FW, the parasites actually die at around 86. So lando, I guess there is no way to actually get it out of a SW tank without using meds which is a no-no?

What is the minimum size need for a QT tank? My main tank is cycling but I have not set up a QT yet. I do have a 2gal Eclipse Explorer of my daughters that is not in use which I am tempted to try, but I'm thinking this may be too small to keep stable. Could this work with only one fish at a time - probably about 2" or less?

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can us a 10 or 20 gal for aQT. The best way to rid your tank of ick is to let it go fallow (fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks. Inverts are okay. Hook up a in-line UV sterilizer to treat the water. Then QT all new arrivals. Lando
Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all for the help!! Sue

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com