Help for my Blue Tang....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I did dip her and she scared the poop outta me. Just kinda laid there on her side I kept moving her just a little bit to assure that she was not dying. Before we put her in I noticed some black spots on her face kinda like her nose area. Could this be from scratching? She still is eating like a little pig and swimming around like crazy just looks really crappy! Thanks all for your help Sue

Moved to the sick fish/coral forum

lando said:
In the mean time I agree with saberry, go ahead and increase the temp of your tank to about 84. This does not really kill the ick parasite but rather it speeds up the life cycle, causing it to die off faster.
While I do not dispute this, I would actually advise against it. While raising the temp will speed up the reproductive rate of the parasite it will also affect the pH of the fishs' blood which lowers it's immune response making it more cesceptible (sp?) to secondary infection.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Moved to the sick fish/coral forum

lando said:
In the mean time I agree with saberry, go ahead and increase the temp of your tank to about 84. This does not really kill the ick parasite but rather it speeds up the life cycle, causing it to die off faster.
While I do not dispute this, I would actually advise against it. While raising the temp will speed up the reproductive rate of the parasite it will also affect the pH of the fishs' blood which lowers it's immune response making it more cesceptible (sp?) to secondary infection.

Cheers
Steve

Would you agree that this is a good move after the fish are removed?

quarryshark said:
Would you agree that this is a good move after the fish are removed?
Personally I think 84-86° for any marine animal is too warm unless dealing with a region specific species that can tollerate it. In an FO system I wouldn't see the harm but FOWLR or reef and there could be additional concequences.

When you consider the time it takes for treatment: Cupramine 2 wks, ionic copper 3 wks and hyposalinity 4 wks + the watch and wait time after treatment (2 wks) to be sure ther is no re-occurance or secondary infection, why bother? The parasite would not have a host to sustain it in a fallow tank and it would die anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Increasing the water temp can help.But if you have any Clams in the tank you really do not want to increase your water temp as clams will die do to temp.above 85 degrees

Hey i just found my post again! LOL shes is doing much better. Still looking a little rough though I hope that will pass. Hopefully on Friday I can put her back in the main tank again! Thanks Quarry for your help! Hope your vacation is (was) great! Sue

Back
Top Bottom