Help for my Blue Tang....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I need some help quick! My blue has some spots on her that I am assuming is starting of ICK! Ive been feeding with garlic and they seem to go away.This morning I turned on the light to check on them all and she has a bunch and I also didnt see her eat. What can I do I have inverts in the tank so no coppermine I also do not have a qt tank(Im bad I know) But please dont hold that againt me. Any ideas from anybody would be great!!!! Thanks Sue

Either run down to a pet store and get one of those 10 gallon complete aquarium kits for $30 and start a QT tank, or increase the Garlic a bit and pray. The $30 is worth far more than loosing all your fish, and it will allow you to QT like you should in the future. Best of Luck!

Cheers

Well it's in a 55 gal (according to your profile). The heni banner fish is also cramped up. This is a lot of stress being cramped up, and stress is the main cause of ICH.

I guess I need to figure out how to change my profile because the Heni died a few months ago (as I posted here before) So any way thanks for the help with letting me know what is best for my fish with ick.

Well it's in a 55 gal (according to your profile). The heni banner fish is also cramped up. This is a lot of stress being cramped up, and stress is the main cause of ICH.

Aren't you the one with 10 tangs and 10 other fish in a 125?

I don't know if this applies to sw but with fw ich, a tank can be treated effectively with a temp increase alone. The fw parasites can not live in 86 degree water. By raising a tank to that temp and holding for a couple weeks, all parasites can be killed. Of course the temp increase has to be gradual and some fish can handle the stress better than others. Again, I don't have a clue if this could be tried in sw, but it might be worth checking into since this method can be done without medicating the tank.

Anyone know if this would work?

You want to do it right. I live in Brunswick and have a couple spare 10 gallons. You can qt and treat.
Interested?

Thanks quarryshark....I really apperciate the offer but I don't have the other things I would need either....heater skimmer,etc... The spots seem to have gone away. we did a partial water change yesterday (the first since we got her) and added some red slime remover. Also we found out that we forgot to plug back in the heater...it was only off about 20 min. I am thinking that all that combined stressed her out...What do you guys think? possible? And six-line I don't think he was trying to bash you... I hope all goes well with your tank..Yellows are my favorite fish!! :0)

Sue, if you go to the Home Page and look on the right where it says Welcome b3noodles, under that you'll see a link to update your profile.

I have the heater, filter, top, pvc pipe, everything you need. Don't need/want a skimmer if treating with meds.
Even though the spots went away, they will probably come back ever worse (if its ich). Its going through its life cycle. Be ready to treat.
Open offer.

Thanks Atari!! I was able to find it and it worked! Yeah! Also Kevin thanks six-line (although I am sure he is a good guy) has been telling me since I started posting that my tank is too small for a yellow tang. And now hes going to try a school of them.. I wish him luck I really do but your right just because someone asks a question is no reason to go off on them. I am new and still (always) learning thats why I post here to hopefully learn what I am doing right and wrong! Quarryshark I will talk to hubby when he gets home and see what he thinks. We do have another 55 gal but I think that will be a bit big. I will definatly get back with you and let you know. I just want whats best for my tank! Thanks All!! Sue

Quarry..I pm'd you but not sure how that works.... I am thinking I will need to qt her. She seemed to be doing fine.. no spots and then last night we looked at her and she was covered again. I don't want my main to crash either. Please if you get this let me know if you are still willing to help me out if not I will have to figure something else out. Thanks Quarry! Sue

Hi Sue, A QT is the best way to go, as many have mentioned. In the mean time I agree with saberry, go ahead and increase the temp of your tank to about 84. This does not really kill the ick parasite but rather it speeds up the life cycle, causing it to die off faster. Ick ussually will last 4-6 weeks, with a water temp increase you can get it down to 2-3 weeks. Once it is off of your fish, keep in mind htat it will still be present in the water and new comers to the tank will still be prone to getting it. Good luck and I hope it works out for you...Lando

That's good to know. In FW, the parasites actually die at around 86. So lando, I guess there is no way to actually get it out of a SW tank without using meds which is a no-no?

What is the minimum size need for a QT tank? My main tank is cycling but I have not set up a QT yet. I do have a 2gal Eclipse Explorer of my daughters that is not in use which I am tempted to try, but I'm thinking this may be too small to keep stable. Could this work with only one fish at a time - probably about 2" or less?

You can us a 10 or 20 gal for aQT. The best way to rid your tank of ick is to let it go fallow (fishless) for 6 to 8 weeks. Inverts are okay. Hook up a in-line UV sterilizer to treat the water. Then QT all new arrivals. Lando

Back
Top Bottom