Help! highh AMM in QT. should I move to my main?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g QT with a duetto 100 filter and a sponge filter in it, I thought this would be PLENTY for this size tank and just one lawnmower blenny.

Maybe I didn't cycle it enough (not enough amm to start, or waited too long to actually put a fish in the QT)

Anyway, I checked the AMM just now and it's off the charts! at least 2 or 3.

I did a 2.5 gal WC twice this week, and am making some more SW now

He has only been in this tank a week, but seems healthy. Am I risking more by keeping him in the QT, or should I put him in the main (which is very stable)? I only have 1 fish and some inverts in the main. Of course I'd be upset if I infected the main, but I do have a cleaner shrimp in there to help if I get hit with ich.

What do you think?

Thats one thing I dont understand about QT, and maybe your problem?

You have to keep ammonia going into the tank to keep it cycled, otherwise it cycles itself out then goes back to day 1. Maybe this is what happened?

I dont know what you all do to keep ammonia going into your QT, unless you always have a fish in there.

I put some food in a couple weeks ago, but I guess it wasn't enough. How sturdy are blennies? will he ride out a cycle, or should I yank him?

also complicating matters: in 1 week, I'm going out of town for a week. I'm seriously considering moving the blenny to the main tonight.

Bump your water changes to 2x a day if you can manage until the ammo gets under control. If you put a piece of LR in there it should be something that you wouldn't mind having to dry out should you end up with a parasite on a fish not likely to be affected by them.

I personally wouldn't go on vacation with a fish in QT (unless the QT was massively stable), especially if you'll be gone more than a couple of days. With a Tang I wouldn't risk it but with a blenny? I'd probably toss him in the main. That's just me though and probably not a very popular opinion.

Good luck with him!

He`s already been in the QT a week. By the time you go on vacation it will be almost two weeks. I think being a blenny you should be OK to put him in the main. But that is only IMO. Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom