Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
HELP!!! How effective is a cleaner shrimp?

Hi,

I have just been hit with white spot and have QT'd as many fish as possible but still have 2 fish in the main..

x1 Naso Tang - no white spot, what seems to be a salty build up on its lips.. (bacterial infection?)
x1 Maculosus Angel - white spot
x1 Sailfin Tang - white spot
x2 Tomato Clowns - white spot

x1 Lunar Wrasse, x1 Bi Colour Blennie.. FINE but will QT when other fish are done

x1 Zebra Moray HE IS FINE.. go the slime.. no white spot can get him!

In 2 days my lfs has cleaner shrimp coming in..

How effective are these in eliminating white spot, do they even eliminate it? What is their role as far as parasite removal is concerned? I have never owned these before..

Just abit worried because these guys dont come cheap in Australia.. a 1inch specimen costing $150!!!!

I have got x2 2 inch shrimps on order..

Thanks,

Matt

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Neon gobies are known to nip ich cysts off other fish. They're from the Carribean so they might be pricey in Australia, even if you get aquacultured.

The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry to say that you may have to go fishless in the main for 6 - 8 weeks. I wouldn't rely on a cleaner shrimp (or neon gobies) to solve your problem. If there have been other fish with ick, now in QT, and 2 more still in the tank, there are most likely some that are free swimming also. Fishless or hyposalinity may be your only choices.

There are others 'round here that'll explain the dif between the two and give you the pros and cons. But by all means, don't rely on a couple of cleaner shrimp.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks everyone, wasnt planning on relying on cleaner shrimp, just asking if they actually help with white spot issues.

I can and cant go fishless.. i will have to leave my zebra moray in there, but i guess thats fishless because of their slimey mucus membrane they arent affected.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
thanks everyone, wasnt planning on relying on cleaner shrimp, just asking if they actually help with white spot issues.
They may help give fish some relief but by no mean will help effect a cure.

Quote:
I can and cant go fishless.. i will have to leave my zebra moray in there, but i guess thats fishless because of their slimey mucus membrane they arent affected.
He may be reisitant, but can help the paraisite survive in the main tank. It only takes one to start the infestation all over again.
What is your plan with the shrimp? The treatment would kill the shrimp in the qt and the eel may eat him in the main. IMO, I would save the money.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

correct me if im wrong, how can the eel help the parasite live if they cant attach to the eel.. a little confused
Old 08-02-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used to have ich problems all the time. However, ever since i added 4 cleaners, and MH bulbs i havnt had a parasite outbreak in a very long time. I have had new fish come in with ich but it doesnt even bother me anymore, my cleaner shrimp just clean them over time. and i mention MH bulbs because ever since i added them i have to add 5 gals every 3 days due to evaporation. And slowly the ich exits my tank. at one point i had 4 cleaners and 4 of my fish had ich, the cleaners prevented the ich from multiplying on them, but about a weak later when i add MH, all of the evap started takeing place, and in about a week all the ich was gone.

by the way i also have a 9w uv sterilizer 8O
Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

so water changes are also a tactic to use?

ive never read into UV sterilisers, what are they and how do they work?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Spend some time reading in this forum, many ich battles here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=10
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks kurt, a wealth of knowledge as per usual, FYI, my maculosus; battling on.. he's the worst hit by the ich.. but he seems pretty hardy!!

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com