Help!! I have grave yard in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carbon use highly depends on how it is being used, either passively or aggressively. Aggressive use can warrant bi-weekly changes, but I prefer passive and do not notice adverse conditions up until the second month of use (I change monthly). I do agree with others that at this point in time aggressive carbon useage will help.

I will change that carbon this weekend, and my daughter is headed to Denver tomorrow I will have her pick me up the poly filter because there is not any in this town. Thanks for your suggestions
So am I understanding that you all have this type of carbon or poly filter in your tank all the time or just in troubled times?
Another update; The last 4 snails died but the coral is looking like it is making a comeback.
When do you think it will be safe to add snails again. I have been doing 25% WC every day. Today I noticed that one of the hitch hiker mussels died. It was fine yesterday. The tank looks beautiful and the chemistry is still right on, because I have kept up with the death removal. I am so bumbed:(!

I haven't had to run carbon in my tank for a while. It is great at removing nasties in emergency events and filtering out meds. I alway run purigen in my tank.

When do you think it will be safe to add snails again. I have been doing 25% WC every day. Today I noticed that one of the hitch hiker mussels died. It was fine yesterday. The tank looks beautiful and the chemistry is still right on, because I have kept up with the death removal. I am so bumbed:(!

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you when it's safe because we don't really know what it was that caused the havoc... except that it was something that came in with the cattle trough. Just because your water tests say things are right on, that only means the things you're testing for are OK. There could still be bad stuff in the water for all you know.

If it was me, I'd be changing out carbon every couple days and doing water changes every other day or so. After a week of that, I'd introduce some snails to "test the waters" before going gungho on restocking. If the snails stay alive for say... a couple weeks... then I'd assume things were back to normal.

I did another water change last night and now today my ph is 8.5 this is the highest it has ever been. All other chemistry is still right on. Should I worry? I do not even know how tho lower ph. I know circulation can effect it and I read about the reason it is lower in the am versus pm. I am turning over a lot of water, I have a Koralin 4 and an 1150 gph pump so I know circulation is not the issue. Any ideas? Oh and I changed the carbon I used something different this time I used Kent -Reef Carbon and I rinsed it very well with RO. I did not take out the old carbon bags from the sump I just moved them to an area of less flow and put the new in the high flow area. Can you get too much carbon?

I did not take out the old carbon bags from the sump I just moved them to an area of less flow and put the new in the high flow area. Can you get too much carbon?

In your situation, I don't think you can have too much. But in a normal established tank, where you're using it just as maintenance and not because you're trying to suck something bad out, yes... I believe you can have too much. Carbon is indiscriminate - it'll pull out good and bad stuff. Some folks use it 24/7, others use it occasionally. You'll find numerous opinions.

Regarding your pH... even though you're going through a lot of water, are you still letting the water sit for 24 hours after you mix in the salt mix? Freshly mixed saltwater can have unstable parameters for a while (and a high pH) and that could be it if you're not letting it "rest." Other than that, I'm not sure why it'd be high - but I wouldn't worry about it for now, I'm thinking it'll settle back down again when things get back to normal.

Yes, I am letting the water cure for 24+ hours before water changes. I will leave it be. I am going to try a snail or two on Friday. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom