Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Andari
Help I need advice

Ok I just started my aquarium a few weeks ago. I used live sand and live rock. I gave it 2 weeks to cycle and I started simple by adding a few damsels. My fish keep dying and I can't figure out why. On a side note I did find and remove one large bristleworm and 4 small ones from the tank. But even after that the fish aren't making it. I've been testing the water and haven't found a good reason for what is going on.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
the fish are dieing as it is most likely your tank has not cycled at all. Even though you started with sand and rock, it is best to toss a shrimp in the mix to make sure your tank cycles. Most cycles take roughly a month.

Tell us a little more about the rock and the sand. Are you sure that they were biologically live and active? Also, how much rock and sand in how big of a tank..

Can you please provide the results of the different tests..

Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

rock is tonga and figi and the sand is figi sand that I purchased at an aquarium shop. The rock is doing well, but the sand hasn't really done anything so I'm guessing it isn't active. I did the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, salinity and ph on the aquarium. I'll have to ask my husband where he put our log book but I remember the ph is about 8.2 and the salinty was 30. No ammonia and nitrate02 was 0. I thought maybe it was the bristleworms causing the problem and that maybe I just haven't found them all yet. Tank has been going for only about 2.5 weeks. Oh and it's a 55 gallon tank the kind that is deep not long.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do this.

Go to the grocery store and buy 1 small unseasoned shrimp. ( from the little fish counter in the back of the store) Bring it home, shell it, and toss it in the tank. It may take up to a month for it to fully disolve and your bacteria to be happy. For fish make sure your NitrIte and Ammonia are 0, nitrates are ok at around 20ppm or less. Even with live rock and live sand you are still going to need to cycle. HTH
Old 07-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Slow and steady. All great advice given. Knowing the water parameters will really help us out a lot. NH3, NO2, NO3, SG and Ph would all be very helpful.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the LR they got was Cured already then there will be no cycle.......No need for the shrimp if its cured. They got it from a LFS so there would be no die off from shipping and who knows how long they had it....
Did the LFS say it was cured LR? LS is great, you will not see it doing anything special right away....
The worms are good for the tank so leave them in there......
How do you acclimate the fish to the new tank??
How long did they live for??

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I let them float for a while for the temp then I removed about a fourth of the water and added about a fourth and let them sit for about an hour before adding a bit more of my aquarium water and let them sit for another hour. The first 3 I bought lived for about 3 days. I added two more on saturday evening and one died last night. The other seems to be doing ok right now but he is the lone survivor in the tank.
NH3 = 0
Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 0
SG = 30
The LFS did not say weather it was cured LR or not. I will call and ask him.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

SG doesn't sound right. Is that 1.030? This should be below 1.025...
Old 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

OUch sorry wrong number. Was looking at salinity. SG is 1.023
Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm.. salinity/SG is fine.

Is there any unusual algae growth? (brown stuff everywhere, cloudy water..?)

The fish you're purchasing from the LFS might have issues before you get them home. Precursive problems like Ich and other parasites... there's no way of determining this without actually seeing the fish themselves (sometimes not even then).

If you're purchasing fish from the same LFS - try a different store, or if they have each tank on separate filtration units -- try a different tank.

Regardless -- I wouldn't suggest adding anything to the tank until *after* it has been running for at least a month.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com