Help! I think my goby is dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok there is probably nobody around taht could help me but it worth a shot. I have noticed over the last day or so that my blue dot watchman goby was not eating, but it was only 2 days so I was not super worried. This morning I came down to find my goby out and about but he is obviously NOT well. His eyes are clouded over (I actually thought he was dead but he was not). He keeps his fins erect but I do not see any white spots. His color is darkened and he keeps his mouth open he does not seem to be gasping and when I put the net in he tries to swim away but very clumsily. He has these 2 long brown stringy things streeming off of him and I do not know what that is. Does anybody have any idea.

My tank is only a few mohtns old and we have not set up a qt tank we have been talking about for a little while now but we are still getting things situated. I have a 90 gal with a 30 gal sump. I have a uv sterlizer but it is not hooked up yet (just got it on Friday) and I am shopping for the protein skimmer. I have about 55 lbs of live rock and it is a fish only tank. None of my other fish are showing signs of illness except I have had an ongoing problem with ich on my powder brown tang. He has been treated with fw dips, it improves but then comes back that is why I got the uv sterlizer to elimintae them from teh water. No other fish has ich. I supplement the tank with vitachem and reef dna by Dr. Weiss and vitamin c. I also use garlic occasional in the food.

ANY Suggestions would be great not only do I want to get my goby better but I want to protect my other fish.

Thanks
Christina

If you can, you may want to remove him to a qt tank . Mainly to protect your other fish and give him a no stress environment . What do the stringy things hang off him from?
You could probably start some maracyn (in a qt tank only), if is eyes are cloudy and if the stringy things are coming "from within" so to speak, he may have an internal bacterial infection. But thats just a guess at this point.
How long have you had him?
At 10 gallon qt tank should run less than $50.

Thank you for your help, unfortunately the fish died. I did a fw dip on him and he was coverd in some sort of parastie. I guess b/c he was such a light colored fish I never noticed them before. I never even say him scartch. They enlarged when I did the dip and he was just covered it was horrible. I felt terrible. I put him in a qt tank (went out and setup one up very quickly) and I treated the tank with copper. But he did not survive the night, I just did not catch it in time.

I am keeping an eye on my main tank and I added a uv sterlizer to it. I also have been treating the tank with vitamin c, and vitachem, so hopeuflly that will help.

My other fish seem find. My tang has always been scartching and I am going to dip him over the weekend (he seems to be prone to parasites). He has however developed these raised areas on the base of his dorsal fin. Not quite sure what that is? Any ideas....

Thanks
Christina

tuwhada said:
My other fish seem find. My tang has always been scartching and I am going to dip him over the weekend (he seems to be prone to parasites). He has however developed these raised areas on the base of his dorsal fin. Not quite sure what that is? Any ideas....

Thanks
Christina

I would keep the qt tank running and ready. Since he was in your main for a while, you may have to treat the others. If parasites made it into your main, a fallow period will be in order.
BTW sorry for your loss. :(
Kurt

Back
Top Bottom