HELP !!! Ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cmor1701d said:
That has been my fear since I saw the first spot. As I'm planning of converting from FOWLR to reef over teh next few months would a FO QT period in be worthwile?
Only if you treat the fish in the QT while the display is left fallow. Unnecessarily treating them with copper would not be my choice but properly administered hyposalinity will be fine on the fish and ensure you do not re-introduce the parasite.

Can a tank ever be truly Ich free unless you don't add anything to it? :?
100% yes. Since my Sea apple spawned back in Dec '99 and wiped out all my fish, all new ones have been introduced via QT first for a 5 week waiting period. Since then, I have never had to treat for a parasite after removing them to the display tank. Over 4 years and the only problem was a eye problem with a pink skunk clown which cleared up without the use of meds.

Cheers
Steve

Listen to Steve. You can take the salinity down over two days and quicker is it is an emergency. Take several days to a week when you raise the salinity again.
Terry B

Flame Angel went from barely noticeable dead scale this morning to deaths doorstep tonight. My Tang is depressed about this since they have grown pretty close in the last couple of weeks.

Judging from the looks of the Angel she wont be alive in the morning. She was fine (other than rubbing) until I added the Culpramine.....I hope this is a coicedence, but its hard to believe it is.

My reading suggested the Dwarf Angels were susceptible to Copper treatment, bit it also said that puffers and lions were too and i have 2 puffers, a cowfish and a lion that are doing fine.

Only if you treat the fish in the QT while the display is left fallow
Yes, that would be my plan. Using a couple of 20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute tubs, ambient room light, heaters and ph's.

Wouldn't I still run the risk of introducing the parasite along with a new coral purchase? Or do also recommend a month long QT for all new coral purchases?

Nitrate said:
Flame Angel went from barely noticeable dead scale this morning to deaths doorstep tonight. My Tang is depressed about this since they have grown pretty close in the last couple of weeks.

Judging from the looks of the Angel she wont be alive in the morning. She was fine (other than rubbing) until I added the Culpramine.....I hope this is a coicedence, but its hard to believe it is.

My reading suggested the Dwarf Angels were susceptible to Copper treatment, bit it also said that puffers and lions were too and i have 2 puffers, a cowfish and a lion that are doing fine.
What is the copper level at and have you also been testing for NH3, NO2 and NO3?

Cheers
Steve

cmor1701d said:
Only if you treat the fish in the QT while the display is left fallow
Yes, that would be my plan. Using a couple of 20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute tubs, ambient room light, heaters and ph's.
Sounds like a good plan. (y)

Wouldn't I still run the risk of introducing the parasite along with a new coral purchase? Or do also recommend a month long QT for all new coral purchases?
There is always that risk but it is extremely rare. Personally I will never buy any coral that is housed with fish. I would recommend buying from coral only tanks. It will reduce the instances of any fish related problems that could conceivabley occur. I do not QT any invertebrate although I do inspect them very well before placing them in the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom