Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrate
This doesnt make any sense does it? The treatment wont do any good for Ich except in larval and egg form, right?
Actually the only time the parasite is ceceptible to treatment is during it's free swimming stage.

Quote:
BTW I am new to the forums...sorry for posting this in the wrong section. I wondered why there were no Ich questions in here!!!!
Good point. Moved to the Sick fish/Coral forum.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The hyposaline environment should also be maintained for a full 4 weeks, 7 days is not enough time.
Steve,

pecan2phat said that it would 7 days just to lower the SG to to proper level. Not that the treatment would be complete in that time.

I too am wondering if Cupramine might not be the way to go if you don't notice an outbreak in the very early stages.

I've only had one instance of Ich and was able to successfully treat the one fish with hyposalinity. I'm pretty sure that means that the parasite is still in the display tank, but the fish are healthy enough to fight off any attack. Does that sound about right?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Quote:
The hyposaline environment should also be maintained for a full 4 weeks, 7 days is not enough time.
Steve,

pecan2phat said that it would 7 days just to lower the SG to to proper level. Not that the treatment would be complete in that time.
Sorry, I misread that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat
You need at least 7 days to bring this down from 1.024 SG ( no more than .002 per day). If you have a outbreak and did not catch it from the beginning, then 7 days might be too late.
Sorry to do this again but... the SG can safely be lowered 0.003 every 12ish hours when done in a proper QT tank and the chemistry is properly monitored. It should only take 2½ days to lower the SG to 1.009

Quote:
I too am wondering if Cupramine might not be the way to go if you don't notice an outbreak in the very early stages.
Even though this is one of the safer applications, I would still not recommend it's use in the main tank. If a QT is available, hypo will still be the best method if done correctly.

Quote:
I've only had one instance of Ich and was able to successfully treat the one fish with hyposalinity. I'm pretty sure that means that the parasite is still in the display tank, but the fish are healthy enough to fight off any attack. Does that sound about right?
The fish can develope a certain amount of aquired immunity but it does not usually indicate they will be able to fend it off indefinately. If C. irritans is present in the display tank, it is only a matter of time before there is a full infestation. As I'm sure you are aware if hypo is not lowered proeprly to 14 ppt, the effects of the treatment will not be 100% accurate. That is why it is highly recommended not to use a hydrometer to monitor this treatment.

When treatment is successful and the main display is left fallow for the 4-6 week duration, the parasite will never be a problem again.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-07-2004, 06:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
All these posts seem to suggest that its either cupramine or hyposalinity, not both. Wouldnt both be the most efective treatment?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
All these posts seem to suggest that its either cupramine or hyposalinity, not both. Wouldnt both be the most efective treatment?
Actually the combined treatments would be too stressful on the fish and possibley cause death. It is quite a toxic substance and will lower the fish's immune response making it more ceseptible to secondary infection. The lowered salinity and possibley lowered ph can also cause the copper to become unstable and fall out of solution.

You might find >>this<< article of interest.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Everyone is handling the treatment well (cupramine) except for the flame angel. He appears to have two or three dead scales on one side of his body and a pectoral fin on that same side doesnt look too healthy. Is this a result of the copper treatment or do you think its a secondary infection of some sort?

My blue tang still rubs, but not very often and everyone else looks and acts fine.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
If C. irritans is present in the display tank
Steve,

Absence of active infestation is there any sure-fire, easy method to determine if the parasite is indeed present in the display tank?

I had one purple firefish that displayed the classic rice spots (3 that I could see) and it was immediately removed and put in QT. That was back in August. I have not seen evidence of it surface since. As I'm about to be away for about a week, I'd hate to have an infestation pop up while a friend is looking after the tank for me.

TIA,

Seymour
Old 03-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Everyone is handling the treatment well (cupramine) except for the flame angel. He appears to have two or three dead scales on one side of his body and a pectoral fin on that same side doesnt look too healthy. Is this a result of the copper treatment or do you think its a secondary infection of some sort?
Could be secondary infection or the result of aggression. Keep tabs on it to be sure it does not get worse. Ensure there are plenty of places for the fish to hide. Monitor the water quality/chemistry daily and feed with vitamin enriched foods.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Quote:
If C. irritans is present in the display tank
Steve,

Absence of active infestation is there any sure-fire, easy method to determine if the parasite is indeed present in the display tank?
Not without a microscope 8O

Quote:
I had one purple firefish that displayed the classic rice spots (3 that I could see) and it was immediately removed and put in QT. That was back in August. I have not seen evidence of it surface since. As I'm about to be away for about a week, I'd hate to have an infestation pop up while a friend is looking after the tank for me.
If there where other fish in the main display with the firefish it is possible for the parasite to still be present. Unless all fish are removed for treatment, the cycle will typically continue. Even though you saw the spots and removed the fish, you cannot be sure there was at least one trophont ready to release and encysts which is all it would take.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks Steve,

That has been my fear since I saw the first spot. As I'm planning of converting from FOWLR to reef over teh next few months would a FO QT period in be worthwile?

Can a tank ever be truly Ich free unless you don't add anything to it?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com