Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Hyposalinity.

When I did hypo I did 2 pwc every day for the first week to keep ammonia levels low. Then the filter starting kicking in and dropped to a single pwc every day and for another week, then every other, etc. Checking your water parameters is the only way to go, but more PWC's don't hurt.

Take Kurt's advice on the water test colors. It's a bit tough to tell on pH.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nicewitit View Post
just because i'm a newbie, what exactly is a hypo? and is there a safe way to treat the entire tank for ich? Is there any recommended product that anyone has had success with? And i heard that there are products that you can use regulary to prevent ich in your media, are there any recomendations?
Hypo salinity treatment is a QT tank with low salt solution, SG at 1.009 for 4 weeks or more to rid the parasite from the fish. It must be done in QT tank, and the main tank left fishless for the full QT period to rid the tank of Ich.
I used a 10 gallon tank with a powerfilter and air stone and heater. I put purigan in the powerfilter and lowered the salt down over a 7 day period.I do water changes of 5 gallons each day with water made the night before in a bucket with a powerhead and heater. I refill the tank over a 30 minute period and then make tomorrows water. It takes 270 grams of salt to 5 gallons of water to get 1.009. I use 1/4 tsp of PH buffer and dechloroinator ,let it sit in the bucket until needed the next day.
No other absolute method for removing Ich from tank and fish that I am aware of. Hope that helps answer your question.
joe

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyfromlawrenceville View Post
No other absolute method for removing Ich from tank and fish that I am aware of. ...
Copper based meds will definitely work also. But in my opinion, it's more stressful on the fish and harder to dose. Hypo may be a pain, but it's pretty simple.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Copper based meds will definitely work also. But in my opinion, it's more stressful on the fish and harder to dose. Hypo may be a pain, but it's pretty simple.
Oops, Kurt is right about copper, I forgot about that. i decided to go with Hypo, all to do over again ......I don't know. Hypo has been pretty easy , but, very time consuming. the reason you guys haven't seen me around here lately on AA is because I've been downstairs doing water changes every night. My main tank has been fishless since Dec7th , Ich has been gone since Dec 17 ( I think) and I figure I'm still 2 weeks out from putting them back in the main. Lots of salt and time invested in the treatment, but fish have seemed happy all along, I think they have bonded and are life long friends now.
Joey

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com