Help! Is my anemone splitting or is it dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reef fanatic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I attached the image and sorry for the quality photo. The color is actually more pink and the tentacles are still bright green but deflated. The params. are all normal my temp. is 79.2 and SG is 1.026 the tank has been established for a year, I have two t5's an actinic and day bulb along with moonlights at night. it is a 35 gal. hex. and the light is lowered close to the top. My other corals such as my wall hammer, deep purple yellow rimmed mushrooms and zoas are all open and bright with color . The mouth seems to be stretched and the foot is "puffed" there seems to be a creese in the rim indicating splitting. It has been doing this for around a week. Close to the upper rim looks like pink filaments. It has attached its self to to base of my toadstool and after the pic i moved it lower. In around 10 minutes the mouth has receded pink filaments and more tentacles are showing green. the other day it squeezed itself through a rock cave that looked like a tight space and when it made it pass it looked stressed. Ah please any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I would be concerned with having only a 2 bulb fixture over a nem. :-( I just got my first bubble tip last night and I have mine under some serious LED lighting. Anemones need an intense amount of light in comparison to corals. Is it stretching towards the light, has it been moving around much? They usually will move to where they like it versus where you like them. lol

For the first two weeks it was very vibrant and healthy, it does not move around once it was settled with its foot in the shade. It isn't stretching toward the top of the tank. The first pic. I was holding the toadstool toward the camera to try and get a better picture. At the moment it is puffed with the mouth tight.

I tried to attach pictures to this first post but it did not work. The second thread with the same title has the pictures.

Here are the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, that doesnt look very good. How long has he been like that? Nems will suck in all their tentacles at night or after feeding but they shouldnt be like that long term. Have you fed it recently? Feeding pieces of food that are too big can stress them out as well and they will look not happy. Same thing with pooping, when they are expelling waste they tends to look pretty darn bad.

It has only been today with the sucked in pink mess. I fed the Nem two days ago no problems their and it excreted yesterday. Right now it looks to be trying to detach itself from the toadstool's stem and possibly on a rock. The mouth is stretched horizontally but still closed. Is this a possible splitting?

Back
Top Bottom