Help! Is my Feather Duster still alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know it sounds silly, but how do you know if a Feather duster is dead?

I got one for the first time a few days ago. 2 days later, my wife said the crown fell off - I was out of town. I got back today and I can see the tube, but can't see if anything is in there. there is a white, wilted looking crown that appears to be attached to my live rock. It looks very stringy rather than feathery. It doesn't look good and because of where it is I'm not even sure if it is the tube worm or just the crown debris.

Any and all help, ideas, advice is appreciated!!! :cry:

Under stress the feather duster's can lose their crown...but it'll grow back and can survive not having one for a bit.....best way to check is to touch the tube...if the worm reacts by moved from within the tube then it's alive.....

When they die the tube becomes pretty soft...squishy like. When it's alive you can feel the worm nside and it's pretty solid feeling.

normally touching will make them retract !! but not always !! i have one i can touch and wont do anything but if ya move him he'll retract

bump. So the crown is gone, but the tube remains. It's been about 3 days. How do I know if he is still alive??

ya should be able to feel the worm moving in the tube when ya hold it and or it still being some what hard in the tube !! the tube will aways hang around though so ya know with or with out a worm :)

Back
Top Bottom