Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! Is this ICK? :(

I just picked her up this weekend and started noticing this today ( sorry for the bad pics)

I have tested everything below, I duno what to do. I currently do not have a QT. any help? I duno if I should be testing for something or doing something? I have a 110 reef tank with 4 clowns, 3 purple firefish, 1 Eibl, 1 coral beauty and a yellowhead jawfish. Nothing is having a problem but her, all my corals are fine and splitting still Xenia is growing like mad and I want to help the fish but I am lost
Please help if you can, or let me know how to treat with no QT.
TIA

1.028 salinity
KH is about7.4
alk 2.6
ammon 0
nitrites 0

what else do I need to test?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:22 AM   #2

From what i see appearently it is saltwater ich

here is a website with photos

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichartmar.htm

i was talking with an employee of my LFS and she said saltwater ich is THE hardest to get rid of anyways

if you can quarentine her asap!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your gonna need to get a QT tank and move all your fish into it. You can't treat in the main tank because any treatment to kill the ich, will also kill off your liverock. Your tank will need to be fishless for 6wks to safely kill the parasite in your main tank. During this time you can treat your other fish with a copper med like Cupramine or with hypo treatment. Just be sure to have plenty of salt in stock to do lots of water changes on the QT tank. With that many fish, you might even want to consider two QT tanks. Unfortunately, there is no easy cure or any shortcuts where ich is concerned.
As for testing, you should be testing for Ph and nitrates as well. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #4

I dont think I can get all the fish out, I have almost 250 LBS od liverock, it is a reef tank with a few fish, to take everything apart would take me a few days

there is no way to treat one fish? if i can even get her out
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

We bought one of those a week ago. Within 2 days she was covered with ich. I could not catch her and no store in town had anything to treat a reef tank. However, by the time I got home that evening I noticed she would not leave the cleaner shrimp alone. Pestered him all evening and by bedtime she only had a couple of spots left. Then by the next morning she was clear. It has been a week now and no signs of ich on her or any others. Cleaner shrimp are invaluable to me and everyone ought to have at least one.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My yellow tang used to have the same looking spots. My cleaner shrimp took care of them in about 2 days after putting the tang in the tank. I have heared that you need cleaner shrimp when you have tangs because that they have a weird skin and parasites like to live on them.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #7

oh wow, i thought that it was ICH for sure

hmmmm science has proved me wrong again.... and again

LOL
Old 03-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is ich. Ich is a parasite. regal tangs are just more easily infected by it. They must not handle stress very well. This is our third try to have one. Every other one has died of ich while still in qt. I researched alot and found several sites that say not to qt the regals because when you put them in the main they are just as stressed as the first time you bring them home. We did not qt this one and the cleaner shrimp has cleared it right up.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #9

thanks I am off to buy 3 of them now!
hope this works as I cant QT her

Also I did notice she freaked out the whole time home..and she is fine eating and all that just spots

hope this works!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also notice that my Yellow Tang gets tiny black dots on it's skin every now and then. These seem to make the fish itch a little. But the shrimp normally eats those as well. I feel that the Cleaner shrimp are a must if you are going to have a tang.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com