Help i've been bleached!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
now I dont know what happened... but I woke up this morning and all of my fish were dead... my false perc, mandarin, my royal grama, my peppermint shrimp..well one is gone, the other one is still kicking...

Now, I fed my black sun polyps last night and everything was fine, my girl walks in this morning and tells me I think your clown is dead (between you all and me she did it on purpose...she was mad at me all day..but shes always mad lol) I get up to see whats the deal, less than 8 hours ago everyting was perfect in the tank...sure enough the clown was dead and the mandarin was twitching..I smelled bleach so I stuck my head over the edge of my tank and sure enough it smelled like bleach, thats when I noticed all my corals were closed up, zoas, shrooms, Brains, my frogspawn and torch and bubble, all looked like they were dead...she said she cleaned up a mess that the puppy made but I dont believe it... the top of my tank is roughly 5 and a half feet off the ground and a spray bottle with a bleach water mix that is being used on the floor away from the tank is not going to get in the tank enough to turn the smell of the water....

anywayz. i took everything out with a coral on it, gave it a fresh water dip and it is all jammed in a 25 gallon cooler with my lights and a powerhead on it.. everything seems to be ok, coral wise but my snails and hermits are still dropping like flies. Roughly 50 % of my LR is still in the tank and my filters and one powerhead is still running basically the tank is empty its just running the water through the filter...my question is...what do I replace.. the water obviously...and all filter media I am assuming...what about my substrate and LR...I still see spagatti worms and feather dusters acting normal in the tank....any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I would not give your corals a FW dip. Stressing out an already stressed out coral is a recipe for disaster. JMO.

I dont let anyone spray anything in the room with my tank. Even when I clean the glass with windex I spray it on the rag in another room. Any mist in the room will be taken in at the surface. That`s where the gas exchange happens. You might want to treat your tank with some dechlorinator.

I agree with Mike. I'd add some Prime (2x dose) and do a large water change followed by a series of smaller ones. If you have an RO unit, start making water now. If you don't get water ASAP. I wish you luck and sorry for the losses.

So I'll be the one to ask the ugly question based on your post.

Any chance your girl sabotaged your tank. IMO a few fish dying overnight should not cause your tank to smell of bleach. Someone pouring bleach in your tank certainly would though.

Just pointing out the pink elephant in the room.. No offense intended

I saw a gorilla in the corner, I missed the pink elephant.

So I'll be the one to ask the ugly question based on your post.

Any chance your girl sabotaged your tank. IMO a few fish dying overnight should not cause your tank to smell of bleach. Someone pouring bleach in your tank certainly would though.

Just pointing out the pink elephant in the room.. No offense intended

**** yea i think she did it...she said shed cleaned up a spot the puppy made which was roughly10 feet from the tank...I have cleaned my carpet many times with various chemicals and have never gotten remotely close to the tank.. and since you are spraying on the floor...i mean I am no rocket scientist but im no duck either...the tank water had a nice bleach smell to it...the tank is 47 gallons...you have to put a good amount of bleach in 47 gallons of saltwater to make it smell like bleach... thats is just my opinion...thankfully my corals seem to be ok...everything is starting to open up(i used my water change water to fill up the bin) they are all shedding like crazy but thats a good thing...do you all think my substrate will be ok? i was wanting to change it from crushed coral to sand.. i guess now would be as good a time as any huh..

This would be 'as good a time as any' for any number of things.. Tank related and not

Isn't there a test out that actually tests for chlorine? If I found out anyone did anything to any of my pets on purpose they would be in soooo much trouble.

oh wow man how old is your daughter? I dont even let a adult around my tank alone..... and yea change to sand its a much better than crushed coral just keep some crushed coral in a mesh tied up in the tank for a few days to help with the bacteria...

my daughters are two and 1...I know it wasnt them..this happened between 3 am and 7 am...she was the only one up...I know it was her...she didnt even have to admit to it...the look on my face said what I was feeling and she instantly began to defend herself..I didnt even say anything about her being careless around my tank...guilty conscience...I dont know how you could think that I would not smell the bleach aroma coming from my tank...i spend soooo much time on my tnak I can tell when one of my snails is hiding out for a while or if my Nassarius snails need to be fed....I pretty much study my tank every day...well iM off to my LFS.. he gonna give me a credit to pay off in instalments so I can get my tank back up... ill let ya know how it goes. be back later

Thank you all for your comments and concerns

That's such a shame. I hope everything works out OK with the corals. I'm not an expert but if it were me I would replace anthing that's pourous, except maybe the LR. I would attempt to salvage them mainly because of the expense. I would be real nervous with any livestock in there for a while though.

happened between 3 am and 7 am...she was the only one up...I know it was her...she didnt even have to admit to it...the look on my face said what I was feeling and she instantly began to defend herself..

Just don't buy a rabbit or it may end up in boiling water!

:microwave:

Next time I'm getting the silent treatment from my wife, I'll think of this thread and give her a kiss.

Sorry for your losses.. She really knew where to kick you

I'll tell you one thing, she would not be around anymore if mine were to do it to me. That is the ultimate low - why would you want someone that would do such a thing around??

I still am not understanding. Do you think it was deliberate or careless? If it was the latter, then some talking to is in order. If it was the former, then some re-evaluating is in order.

That's harsh. I couldn't still be with anyone that would just kill animals. Anyone that can just dump bleach in a fish tank scares me a little.

I hope you sort out your fish and all is well again

Dude that is horrible. I wouldn't put your corals back in your tank for a while. And i would guard the container there in just in case. I couldn't stand someone that would do that.

Hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom