help losing all my corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
not sure what is going on. I have an 85 gal tank. I left and took a long weekend. had someone stop by and feed them foo dI had prepared and refidgerated. not I com ehome to allmy corals sick or dieing. My anemonieslook all sriveled up and no movement. My carpet is upside down, all the fish appear ok. PH 8.2 ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, and po4 all 0 sg 1.025 on refratcometer. All alge I had growing on the tank has died off. Any Ideas? I had zinea, frogspawn, hairy mushrooms, finger leather and toadstool leather.

Thanks for your help

First thing I'd do is a big water change and add some activated carbon. Anything could have happened and it's almost impossible to know. You might be able to save the corals though with some water changes as soon as possible.

The lights being off for a weekend or even a week shouldn't affect healthy coral stocks to the point of death; however, you did mention algae die off, but what type of algae (macroalgae such as caulerpa?)? Was the water clear or somewhat hazed (green/brown tinge)?
I do agree with the large water change and added carbon. Filter floss or filter sock would prob. help catch debris, if any, but just make sure you keep it clean.

I agree that a 30% PWC would help and GAC as Lindsay said. I`m sorry that this happened but now that you are back it`s time to take control. Do those and let us know. Hope all goes well.

alge die off was some green hir alge I have ben fighting due to lack of flow. I had been experimenting with arrangement of my PH's and just haven't found the right combination yet. As for the water, the water was clear. I did a PWC tonight, just made the water last night. BTW I had just changed the water the day before I left as well. I also use RO/DI water from a unit I have installed under my sink. I know he did not touch the lights as i have the lights on timers. I do believe that the situation may have been aided by the death of an anemonie while i was gone I have 2 a carpet, and a pink tip. I also noticed tonight as I was cleaning the tank I seem to hve lost at least one of my brittle star fish as well.

Could the anem dying have done this???

army6192plt said:
Could the anem dying have done this???
Yep, they can really foul a tank. More PWCs are in order. Did they remove it when they saw it was dead? What are your water parameters?

+++EDIT+++
I would take your water to your LFS, if you are not seeing ammonia, you may have a faulty or expired test kit.

bought another test today and had it tested by a LFS and again all perameters as described above. I have 2 clowns a goby an alge blenny and a queen angel in the tank right now. All of small size and the queen is just a tmp storage until the 180 is finished cycling.

I removed the anems when I got home and saw how they looked. did another PWC tonight.

Looks like I might have saved the frogspawn not sure what else....

Back
Top Bottom