Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help me feed my scooter blenny

Hi guys,
I acquired a scooter blenny,and he seems to sample "some" of the variety of foods I offer him;I can't see him eating a good meal. I tried pellets, fish caviar, mysys and small mysis shrimp. brine shrimp, blood worms,shredded brine shrimp flakes... I know they are very finicky eaters,but I don't want him to starve. Does the garlic food soak work? I am willing to try anything. I adore that fish,and I don't wanna loose him.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait, you do know that the majority of scooters only eat pods right? Just making sure. I have heard that mysis and brine usually work..

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #3

When i did my research it said they could be trained to eat other foods and the lfs told me they were already eating brine and mysis shrimp, as well as cyclopeeze, I had enough pods to sustain him for two weeks or so in case he wouldn't accept other foods right away. Well,now it seems he ate the majority of pods, and he is not eating a lot maybe pecking and sampling. If I need to supply him with pods in the meanwhile I will(I'm seriously thinking of doing so)but eventually I wish he would take to other foods. Thank for replying so quickly.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ah sometimes it takes MONTHS to train a dragonette. I hope you can do so quickly. To train it, try feeding small amounts 3 times a day. Use a turkey baster and shoot the mysis/bloodworms right into the sand next to it.

This means that youv gotta keep up on those water changes..3 times a day is alot even in small amounts
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #5

Thanks gboy66. That is true, I'm gonna have to replace my 2 filter pads. As forwater changes, i will do weekly water change. My dragonette does not like bloodworms, he spits them out. I truly hope he will get used to the other foods. He is so funny and cute.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why are you replacing your filter pads? And yes there are many differant techniques to get mandarins and scooters to eat. I have even heard there are differant decorations and things used...? Not sure. How big is your tank? Good luck with your scooter!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by agataoneil
Thanks gboy66. That is true, I'm gonna have to replace my 2 filter pads. As forwater changes, i will do weekly water change. My dragonette does not like bloodworms, he spits them out. I truly hope he will get used to the other foods. He is so funny and cute.
Replace your pads? The ones with all the beneficial bacteria? Dont do that until they are literally falling apart. The bacteria is what converts the ammonia!

Just keep trying is all i can say. Hopefully it will get used to them soon. Keep trying brine, mysis, and bloodworms!

Tags
blenny, feed, scooter blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com