Help me fix my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERnurse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new owner of a 110 Gallon tank that my husband bought for me as a surprise. I had it professionally set up last fall, and since then have had 2 "crashes" with total losses. I started my tank with a few blue damsels, and Sergeant Major damsels, because everything that I had read before I started it said they were hardy fish. I, over the course of the next two months, added a fish or two every coulple of weeks, snails, and crabs, and all of my water levels had remained consistenly perfect. Then one day in late December, all of my fish started having trouble "breathing", turned pale in color in patches, and died over night. :confused: After consulting with my fish guy, he said to wait a week and then add some fish back in to "maintain" the correct bacteria count. I added mollies, because they are not as expensive as the blue faced angel or powder tang that I had recently purchased. The mollies had been in the tank for 10 days, the water levels had all remained constant, and I assumed that it would be ok to start adding my damsels back. Again, the same thing...they all started having trouble "breathing", pale in patches, and died, except the mollies of course. I removed the mollies from the tank, because I assume that it is brooklynella, and I wanted to remove the hosts for the organism. I put the mollies in my fresh tank, and they and my other fresh fish, are all still doing well. My problem now is, all of my invertebrae are starting to die off. My snails are all dead, and crabs are all just falling out of their shells. Does this sound like brooklynella? If I actually leave my tank empty for a month, will it die off? Or do I have to treat it and kill off my coral, and live rock, too? I'm so frustrated, and I really love my tank, but I am ready to quit already! :banghead: I don't think I can handle another major crash like that and see all of my fish die again! Please help! :(

I haven't read anything about what ur levels are or anything about water changes. Does this professional test ur water?

Moving this to the sick fish forum. You`ll get more looks at it there. BTW welcome aboard. When you do your PWC`s what type water are you using. I would make a batch of SW and then test it before you put it in the tank. That will let you know if you are the one adding ammonia to the tank. Let`s rule that out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom