Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 801
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
So, i can try the UV route for a few weeks to see what the result is? If it get worse, i'll "try my best" to to explain to my dad the daily WC's (this is not gonna be easy). U suggest that i should do 10% WC weekly to help with the ich problem or is it a required tank maintaining thing? I usually do a 5G WC per 2 or 3 weeks depending on my dad's mood lol.

*yes... not being able to pay for my hobby sucks... it's all gonna change this summer once i get my internship job *
__________________

__________________
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 238
Howedie!!! I am your neighbor. I live in the out skirts of Houston. I am dealing with ick right now too. I have had my fish in qt since saturday. I had an hob/w bio wheel on my main and being that it is fully seeded I didn't have to cycle my qt at all. This is day 5 and no ammonia spike!!!! I am monitoring very closely with my fingers crossed. I don't know if your fish are really stressed or not but it only takes a few weeks to seed a filter in the main. I tried ick attack first it didn't get rid of my problem but it did seem to slow things down. Maybe it could buy you some time? A seeded filter will help your qt. If you get a uv don't use it with your copper. I does something to the copper chemically and it becomes toxic
__________________

__________________
tmkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFrik
So, i can try the UV route for a few weeks to see what the result is? If it get worse, i'll "try my best" to to explain to my dad the daily WC's (this is not gonna be easy).
Yes the UV can be used if that's your only option but like I said, it will not eliminate the problem. Keep working on Dad.

Quote:
U suggest that i should do 10% WC weekly to help with the ich problem or is it a required tank maintaining thing? I usually do a 5G WC per 2 or 3 weeks depending on my dad's mood lol.
No not for the ich, tank health in general. 10%+ weekly water changes are a great benefit to any tank.

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 801
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Thanks alot steve. I had a long talk to my dad today and he agreed to buy the UV. Though, i asked him if he wanted to QT the fish and do the WC's before i mentioned the UV, he disapproved the QT way right away lol. He said getting the fish out would be a pain and he will not put up with that much WC's.

I will try to do more WC's to increase my tank's health. Thanks for this advice also. I usually get suggestion of 10% WC per 2 weeks or so.

About eliminating the ich parasites, im not trying to agrue with u, but I have a thought about it and would like to discuss this. I don't see how the UV can't get rid of them. Here's how i think of it: UV is used to "prevent" parasites. This means that if any parasites enter the tank, the UV will destroy all of them. Now back to my tank, a 125G UV would surely suck all of my tank's water and cure it from parasites in a matter of a few hours. My water will be parasites-free, yes? The parasites that stay on LR, LS will have to swim sometimes to find a host. Once they swim, they'll get killed also. The eggs that are laid on the sandbed will eventually hatch and swim around = killed. The parasites on the fish will eventually drop off to mutiply. Once they drop off, they'll get sucked into the UV and killed. If any of them make it to the bottom and avoid being sucked into the UV, the next time they hatch, they'll get killed when they try to find a host.

This will take awhile to totally get rid of the parasites due to the chances that the parasites may avoid being killed but I think they it IS possible to eliminate ich with UV.

P.S.: I suck at expressing my thought lol
__________________
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
 
austinsdad's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Accokeek, Maryland
Posts: 7,694
There will be plenty of parasites that will never get "sucked up" and stay in your tank forever I believe, hence the 8 weeks.

Good luck with your plan.
__________________
-Ray-

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
I agree with austin about removing the fish and being fishless. The UV will not remove all the parasite just the free floaters that get sucked up in the chamber.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 801
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I really want to go with the fishless plan but i can't :/ My dad won't put up with it
__________________
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 801
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Yesterday, I rushed to the LFS to buy a 9W Coralife UV, hoping to help my fish out ASAP. I came home and my royal gramma was covered with hundreds more white spots... laying on the sand... gasping... T.T My hermits were already herding around... I had to put my fish out of the misery before the hermit could tear his flesh so... i took him out and put him in a bow of freshwater. He swam crazily for 30 seconds and died... He was my favorite fish

My thought about his death is, he died b/c he didn't consume as much garlic as he should. He kept spitting out any garlic soaked food and only took 1 or 2 bites when he got really hungry. My green chromis ate any garlic soak food as he could and now he's cleaned of ich. No spot is visible. It does mean something when one fish is infected heavily while the others are un-affected. Mayb my gramma's immune system was too weak.

The UV has been up and running since last night. Im leaving it on 24/7. I will keep u guys posted.
__________________
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus
 
austinsdad's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Accokeek, Maryland
Posts: 7,694
Chormis is a lot more hardy than a gramma anyway. And remember, just becuase no spots are visible doesn't mean the tank is cured. And remember although garlic might prevent fish from parasites, it doens't cure one that has it.

Good luck.

BTW, how many fish are in the tank left? I'm thinking that as they will all possibly die off, you may get your fishless tank anyway . Then it'll be on you not to add any more for the 8 weeks recommended.
__________________
austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 238
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I am running a uv also but I still had ick. I thought it would be really hard to catch the fish too but it really wasn't that bad. I have a 125g 6foot long tank/w 150lbs of lr. I feed the fish only on one end od the tank, when they came down to feed one morning I slipped a divider in and my 125g became a 20g. I removed the rock that was on the smaller side to the larger side and the fish had no where to run but into my large net. I am treating with copper. Hypo is better if you have a refractormeter. Due to my fully seeded filter I haven't had to do any water changes. Good luck on what ever you try.



Tinia
__________________

__________________
tmkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eat, ich, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I treat for ich too quickly ? aka is it really ich ? joannde Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 4 07-23-2006 09:03 PM
How to treat FW ich. Marc118 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 6 06-07-2006 10:44 AM
Please Help! How to treat ich!!!!! Tito2491 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 04-02-2006 03:06 PM
Maybe ich? how to treat in a reef tank? Snoopybdb Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 8 03-28-2005 11:15 PM
Does this treat ich like it says? Rach101 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 4 02-19-2005 03:15 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.