Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope it was not something like Marine Velvet. Some of the signs point to it. Please keep a close eye on the others and if you see any symtoms, quickly move to a qt tank for copper based treatments.
The clown you speak of may pair up, but I would wait a couple if weeks before adding anything. Make sure there is nothing going on in your tank. I went through a bout with Velvet, it was no fun.
If the gloves are non pervious, they should be OK with a good washing.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Old 05-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks mate! I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, and of course 1 ocellaris clown.

What symptoms should I look for in them all?

Old 05-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

And, could the oily film (whatever it is!) on top of the water decrease oxygenation, causing the problem with my Clown?
Old 05-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what it is. Perhaps you could capture some in a test vial and run it through the works.
Anyone else want to chime in here?
As far as velvet symptoms. Fast gilling, cloudy eyes, flashing or scratching, not eating. Hanging in 1 spot looking lethargic.
Physical symptoms are hard to detect sometimes until its too late, but look for a rust color coating on their bodies or by their gills.
Also watch for white spots (ich)
Hang in there my friend!!
Old 05-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I seemed to notice on my other clown when he was still with us, that his eyes sort of diluted a bit, his pupils got smaller (if they have pupils??). Could have been imagining it though!

At the moment, I THINK my remaining clown is going brown, it may be due to the lighting in my tank being too low though - if I upgrade the lighting, and the colour it is just down to that, will his orangey colour come back? He's currently in the bottom corner, bobbing up and down on the same spot, facing upwards. He usually sleeps like this though... Breathing seems to be normal though, he quite often goes for a bit of a swim, and he's eating like a pig! :p

My 3 shrimps don't seem as active as they were - mostly stay on the same spot, or wander round every now and again. Unless I put some food in! And then they all go MAD! Crawling up the sides, or skimming around on the surface, jumping, etc!! Quite funny really

Water quality is still "perfect" (touch wood)... And my new powerhead is now directed at the surface, so it's breaking up a lot of the "scum", hopefully helping oxygenation.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 3 shrimps go crazy when I put some food in - perhaps they're not getting enough?? I was told I dont need to specifically feed my shrimps, but my clown seems to get all the food as soon as it's put in! He almost jumps out of the tank when he smells the food coming :p

How many times a second, optimally, should an ocellaris clown "breath"?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure of normal respiration, if you see a fast one, you will know it. I would keep a very close eye on him. Not sure if you want to stress him out yet by a move to qt, hard call to make. But be ready. Your shrimp are not hosts for parasitic infections, no worry there.
You might want to read up on marine diseases the advisors wrote at the top of this forum, sums them up quite well.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would the clown (either or both) have brought the infection in from the outside then? If so, why did it take 2 weeks to show up?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #19
steve-s

Re: Help my Clown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I also noticed a few white flaky bits on one side, sort of like some goo attached to him.
I think quarryshark picked it out in the second response. This sounds like brooklynella to me in which case you will need to QT and treat with formalin. >>This<< article should help.

As far as the surface scum, it can be harder to deal with in a smaller tank, especially if there is no skimmer. What I find that helps immensely is a brine shrimp net. If you get one from the LFS, they look much the same as regular nets except the mesh is much finer and used for catching naplii. The extra fine net mesh is also very efficient at removing surface scum.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fantastic idea! Problem is, when I get rid of it, it's back again with 30 mins

If I do it every other day though I guess it will do more good than harm

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com