Help my Clown!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found one of my clowns swimming RIGHT in the top right hand corner of my tank, facing upwards, breathing rapidly.

When he turned round, I also noticed a few white flaky bits on one side, sort of like some goo attached to him.

Any ideas?

PS. Water parameters:-

Temp 78 - 80°F, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-5, CH 10dKh, pH 8.2, SG 1.023.

A few questions. How long have you had him? did you qt him before putting him in your main? Is he eating?
Also was this at night or during the day. My clowns sleep like that at night.
Also can you get a pick of him?
This will help us help you :wink:

Thanks for the quick response!

I've had him for 2 weeks, no I didn't QT him (I know, just got my QT set up ready for my next fish yesterday), he's been eating VERY well since day one.

This is at night here (9pm) but in the middle of the tank lighting period (2pm - 2am).

Can't get a pic I'm afraid, parents have the digital camera! :/

The fin that my other clown (both ocellaris) has just above his head, seems to have disappeared on him??

There a bits of flakey white on one side.

Parasitic infection perhaps?

He's not right at the top at the moment, he's swimming well and seems alert, but stays towards the top... If I didn't notice the white flakeyness I probably wouldn't be worried...

I've just put another powerhead in and I'm creating quite a lot of surface movement (maybe it's an oxygen problem? Although my powerheads do turn water volume over 10+ times an hour), and I've turned the lights off for a bit.

I'm currently preparing some RO water for a 50% waterchange ASAP.

Could be parasitic, possibly Brookynella. Does it look like his slime coat is coming off?
What gets my attention is the missing fins and the fact that you have other clowns (especially a pair), it could be aggression. Do you notice the pair picking on him. Being the "odd man out" could be the trouble.

It doesn't look like it's coming off, but I can't really tell...

I only have 2 clowns (2 ocellaris), they were both put in at the same time and have been getting on well apart from the other one (not the poorly one) occasionally darts at him but doesn't seem to nip him, they just have fun together... Always in the same place, swim together, etc...

OK, it does seem like the other clown has been picking on him.

I've noticed one of his fins on his underside has also vanished, and one of his others has also been nibbled a bit on the edge. The strange thing is, all this has happened in just one and a half days (while I was away), because I've been keeping a VERY close eye on them ever since I got them, and all fins were intact before today.

The only other things I have in the tank are 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, one very small and one a bit bigger, and 1 fire shrimp.

What should I do? The waterchange water (50%) will be ready by Saturday night, allowing it to RO and mix etc. If he lasts that long... The other clown seems to be staying away from him at present though. I thought they were just playing! :(

I would separate them, one to the qt tank. Maybe take the aggressor out for a few days. Upon reintroduction, things may be different. Or you may want to return one to the lfs.
Any other ideas folks?

I have 4 percs. They fought for a little while, but seemed to have paired up now. Don't know if your 1 clown could survive to that point though.

Sadly, my clown died this morning. When he was in my hand, I could actually pull the fin I thought was missing, to be pointing up again - it'd just got stuck to him, it wasn't missing, but 2 of his other fins were nibbled quite badly.

Everyone else in the tank seems ok - what was wrong with him then? Rapid breathing, swimming very close to the top of the tank, sometimes right in the corner, fins stuck to him, and a white flakey coating on one side?

Is the disease contagious, do I need to do anything to my tank before I can put any other fish in?

And, on the same note - if I add another Ocellaris, do you think he'd get on with my current one? I read you have to introduce them in pairs? I'll get a bigger one this time, so he may not get picked on as much... Would a True Percula rather than an Ocerallis get on ok with my Ocellaris?

PS. I used my Aqua Gloves (specially treated gloves especially for aquarium use) to get the little fella out, and naturally being a bit upset, and also late for work, when I was burying him, I stupidly used the hand with my glove on to move all the soil away! I've just washed the soil off now. Am I right in thinking I should go get a new pair of Aqua Gloves? :p

PPS. I've got a bit of surface scum/oily stuff on the surface of my tank which I CANNOT get rid of. I've tried paper towels, powerhead to break up the water surface, but it just comes back. Perhaps this wasn't allowing enough oxygenation in the tank? If lack of oxygen was the sole reason for the Clown's problems, would lack of Oxygen cause the white coating on his skin? My other clown appears to be breathing ok.

Just one of those things eh? :)

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope it was not something like Marine Velvet. Some of the signs point to it. Please keep a close eye on the others and if you see any symtoms, quickly move to a qt tank for copper based treatments.
The clown you speak of may pair up, but I would wait a couple if weeks before adding anything. Make sure there is nothing going on in your tank. I went through a bout with Velvet, it was no fun.
If the gloves are non pervious, they should be OK with a good washing.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks mate! I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, and of course 1 ocellaris clown.

What symptoms should I look for in them all?

And, could the oily film (whatever it is!) on top of the water decrease oxygenation, causing the problem with my Clown?

Not sure what it is. Perhaps you could capture some in a test vial and run it through the works.
Anyone else want to chime in here?
As far as velvet symptoms. Fast gilling, cloudy eyes, flashing or scratching, not eating. Hanging in 1 spot looking lethargic.
Physical symptoms are hard to detect sometimes until its too late, but look for a rust color coating on their bodies or by their gills.
Also watch for white spots (ich)
Hang in there my friend!!

I seemed to notice on my other clown when he was still with us, that his eyes sort of diluted a bit, his pupils got smaller (if they have pupils??). Could have been imagining it though!

At the moment, I THINK my remaining clown is going brown, it may be due to the lighting in my tank being too low though - if I upgrade the lighting, and the colour it is just down to that, will his orangey colour come back? He's currently in the bottom corner, bobbing up and down on the same spot, facing upwards. He usually sleeps like this though... Breathing seems to be normal though, he quite often goes for a bit of a swim, and he's eating like a pig! :p

My 3 shrimps don't seem as active as they were - mostly stay on the same spot, or wander round every now and again. Unless I put some food in! And then they all go MAD! Crawling up the sides, or skimming around on the surface, jumping, etc!! Quite funny really :D

Water quality is still "perfect" (touch wood)... And my new powerhead is now directed at the surface, so it's breaking up a lot of the "scum", hopefully helping oxygenation.

My 3 shrimps go crazy when I put some food in - perhaps they're not getting enough?? I was told I dont need to specifically feed my shrimps, but my clown seems to get all the food as soon as it's put in! He almost jumps out of the tank when he smells the food coming :p

How many times a second, optimally, should an ocellaris clown "breath"?

Not sure of normal respiration, if you see a fast one, you will know it. I would keep a very close eye on him. Not sure if you want to stress him out yet by a move to qt, hard call to make. But be ready. Your shrimp are not hosts for parasitic infections, no worry there.
You might want to read up on marine diseases the advisors wrote at the top of this forum, sums them up quite well.

Would the clown (either or both) have brought the infection in from the outside then? If so, why did it take 2 weeks to show up?

MarkW19 said:
I also noticed a few white flaky bits on one side, sort of like some goo attached to him.
I think quarryshark picked it out in the second response. This sounds like brooklynella to me in which case you will need to QT and treat with formalin. >>This<< article should help.

As far as the surface scum, it can be harder to deal with in a smaller tank, especially if there is no skimmer. What I find that helps immensely is a brine shrimp net. If you get one from the LFS, they look much the same as regular nets except the mesh is much finer and used for catching naplii. The extra fine net mesh is also very efficient at removing surface scum. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Fantastic idea! Problem is, when I get rid of it, it's back again with 30 mins ;)

If I do it every other day though I guess it will do more good than harm :)

Back
Top Bottom