Help! My fish won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
E

eekball

On Sunday (3 days ago) I added a Yellow Eye Tang (about 4 inches) and a Coral Beauty Angel (about 2 1/2 inches) to my 75 gal SW.

All I had in the tank so far was some blue/green chromis (which is another topic on its own) and about 10 crabs. I was feeding them Omega One flakes which the LFS said was good for the new fish too.

The new fish seem to be healthy and are very active, but they won't eat the flakes or pellets the LFS told me to get. :cry:

What should I be feeding these guys? Please help QUICKLY!

Well these fish needs a mix of meaty foods and greens. Nori is the best option for the greens. It is compressed seaweed you can get at most LFS's, asian food stores and even many grocery store. Just pick up a clip at your LFS and clip a strip in there every day for him. Or you can use a rubber band to attach it to some of your rock. They will graze on it. The coral Beauty will also pick on algae if you hace live rock.
Here is a pic of my Heni's grazing on nori attached to a clip.

As for meaty foods which I would suggest Ocean Nutrition and San Fransisco brand frozens. Many good choices from these 2 companies. Just stay away from brine IMO.
HTH

Attachments

• t_j20001.jpg
    t_j20001.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 99
The tang would probably like some Nori/seaweed on a clip hanging from the glass. Are either of them picking at your rock? They might be enjoying the algae that your tank has growing on the rock. My tang (yellow) loves nori, will pick at the pellets (but my crabs and shrimp probably like them better), likes Formula 2 frozen food. Is the Tang's belly sunken in? If not then he's probably just not particularly hungry (though that never stops any of my fish). Being new will have them a little shy and adding a little garlic juice might entice them to eat. A bit early to panic. Keep your eye on them and dose garlic next time you feed. That might just be the inspiration they need!

I love my chromis. They're such fun fish!

Brine=little to no nutritional value. Junk food for fish.

IMO brine (especally adult brine) is lacking of nutrition, basically empty calories. Mysis shrimp is a much better choice.

Thank you all! The tang looks great and is picking at the algae on the lace rock we have. I will pick up some Nori today and put it in there. :mrgreen:

Phyl - you said you love your chromis - please see my other post under the Fish Only discussion. "School of blue/green chromis dying off?!?" Thanks!

Quarryshark - I LOVE the Heni's and would like to put a pair in my tank. Is 75 gal big enough? Will they do okay with the Tang, Angel & Foxface?

Thanks! :D

Also - If I get some Nori AND some frozen food, how much & how often do you feed them?

Do you give them frozen every day and leave the Nori clipped in the tank? Do you ever use the flakes again?

Quarryshark - I LOVE the Heni's and would like to put a pair in my tank. Is 75 gal big enough? Will they do okay with the Tang, Angel & Foxface?
They would do fine with these fish, but unfortunately IMO they need a little more swimming room than a 75 gallon. These guys are very active swimmer and actually get quite big. I have seen them as large as 7".
Sorry, but I can't recommend them for this system :(

Also - If I get some Nori AND some frozen food, how much & how often do you feed them?

Do you give them frozen every day and leave the Nori clipped in the tank? Do you ever use the flakes again?
I clip a little piece of nori in the AM and in the evening after the regular feeding. As for the other foods, just put in as much as they will eat within 10 minutes and you won't overfeed.
I still use flake, a few of my fish including my clowns and my tang like the flake. I just like to mix up the foods a bit.

I feed my fish every other day. The tang gets Nori every day.

Is there a difference between green and purple seaweed?

Back
Top Bottom