Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! My Hippo Tang is sick...

I've had my blue hippo tang for about 2 weeks now and the past few days I have noticed that his tail and fins are all tore up. He also has a white spot (I don't think it's ICH) on his side. He also looks kinda bumpy and his face looks a little bit up. I have been watching my tank and noticed that my Royal Grama (who is pretty big) chases the Hippo around the tank with his mouth open. Do you think the Grama could be causing the tail/fin problem? And what about the "bite" and bumpy marks on the hippo? The only other fish I can think that it would be is my Long Nose Hawkfish. The hippo loves to swim near the hawk but during the day the Hawk doesn't seem to mind. Do you think he turns into a Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde at night time and is attacking my hippo? I just did a water test and everything is running perfect.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your gramma could put a hurt on your hippo if it is one of the small hippo tangs often seen for sale. most expert recommend not buying any other tang other than sail fins at this small size since it becomes nearly impossible to get them beyond that juvenile stage alive. Ich and other parasites are common with hippos so I would quarentine him with either hypo salinity or a slight solution of copper. what size tank do you have? if he makes it he will need a 70 gallon or higher tank to live.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have an 80 gallon tank but since I am moving in a year or 2 I don't really think tank size is an issue for the future. To be quite honest, I never really wanted the gramma, he was sent to me by mistake from etropicals.com. My Father in Law has a tank so maybe I'll just give the gramma to him. The tang seems to be doing great other than being bit up.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
your gramma could put a hurt on your hippo if it is one of the small hippo tangs often seen for sale. most expert recommend not buying any other tang other than sail fins at this small size since it becomes nearly impossible to get them beyond that juvenile stage alive. Ich and other parasites are common with hippos so I would quarentine him with either hypo salinity or a slight solution of copper. what size tank do you have? if he makes it he will need a 70 gallon or higher tank to live.
I did not know tangs usually will not live past their juvenile stages. THank you rfor sharing that!

Tags
hippo, ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com