help my is my star fish dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

be-be815

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Saturday I purchased two chocolate chip star fish and one green serpent star fish, brought them home floated them for 20 mins, poured out some of their water and added some of the aquarium water. Floated some more a5 mins added some more aquarium water, floated for 15 mins more. Added stars to tank. One of the star choc stars never moved the green serpent moved to a live rock in the back. The next morning the one star fish still in the exact spot the serpent had moved a little but they did not move at all on sunday or sunday night. They are in the same position and place. Could they be dead the young person at the store did expose them to the air when getting them out of the aquarium. Could this be the problem? I am returning them to the store today for 1/2 credit how can i bee sure that the replacements will live?

i checked my water it was ok i had just changed water that day.

ammonia -0
nitrites-0
phosrous-0
ph-8.2
salt-1.023
temp-78 :?

All mobile inverts are very sensitive to sudden changes in specific gravity, you should ensure you give them a very long acclimation, for my linckia star I did a 6 hour drip acclimation, I know some that have replaced a teaspoon at a time for several hours. Linckias are particularly sensitive to improper acclimations, but all stars are sensitive. Not sure if yours are dead or just in shock. I would recommend a drip acclimation of at least 2-3 hours for the new ones.

Acclimation

Assuming you mean the tanks on my personal website (LOL, that hasn't been updated in over a year :oops: ) The 90gal tank was about 6 mos to 1 yr old when the pics were taken, at about 2 yrs all of that was moved into the 150 which ran for another 4 yrs. Then I sold it all and got out of the hobby for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom