HELP! MY Stars won't open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zero333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My star pollups will not open in my tank. All tank water levels are good and all of my other corals are fine but the Stars will not come out. Until yesterday they were going strong and spreading like wild. Any ideas??

Post some hard numbers on your water test results. What corals are close to them?

Post some hard numbers on your water test results. What corals are close to them?

Not too close to any other Corals. I guess its closest neighbor is a Brain frag, but it is a few inches or so away. No new addittions to the tank either. This is crazy everything else looks to be doing fine but this coral just stopped blooming out of the blue. It is still a bright purple plate and isn't fading, but it won't bloom.

SG - 1.024
Amonia - 0
N02 - .03
N03 - 2
PH - 8.2
CA - 460
KH - 179

Thanks for the help.
-Pete

Melosu58 and Kurt Nelson. Thanks for your help but I believe I figured out the problem. I recently bought a tank level glass hood that sits between my lighting and the water surface because the plexi one I made was sagging and looked nasty. I just removed the glass for one hour. The Stars begain to sprout. 3 hours later they are back to normal. I guess the glass hood was too restrictive. I guess its back to the drawing board for a plexi hood. Any suggestions for hood matiral? I try to keep a tight seal to prevent evap.

thanks.

You don't want to tight seal... it will mess with your pH if it's too restrictive. Fixing evaporation is WAY easier than fixing pH issues.

I'd put the glass back on and see if they close up again. That would rule out just pure coincidence. I'm finding it hard to believe that it was the glass.

Only reason I asked about the phospate remover is because aluminum-based ones have been reported to cause some issues with corals - mostly soft corals though.

I agree about the glass hood. It will cause your PH to go lower due to poor gas exchange at the surface. They (GSP`s) are pretty finnicky and I`ll bet that could have been the problem.

Back
Top Bottom