Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help my Trigger please!

My Trigger is acting weird. This is his second week in the tank. He's been eating well but he's acting strange.

He is itching himself up against the rocks and kind of twitching. His breathing seem sort of rapid. He is very active.

Anyone know what this is?

Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of trigger? What size tank? Live rock, coral? Any other fish and what kinds? Any fromer disease problems? Answer these and I'll get back to you!

Old 03-11-2004, 10:47 PM   #3

Of course, sorry for the lack of detail on the op. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 5 year break. I currently have a 55 gallon tank with only an Emperor 330 for filtration. I have no LR or LS. 1-2 inches CC substrate. I cycled the tank using the raw shrimp method.

This is a Bursa trigger. He is the only fish in the tank. I've had him for two weeks. He has no noticable spots other than the wounds he has inflicted on himself tonight. This may be normal for triggers but he has been swimming in weird patterns tonight up and down, up and down. Seems kind of restless.

I did a 15% water change yesterday.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:22 PM   #4

Maby the 1st signs of ich, or velvet. Notice any small white specs? Since you have no LR or LS. I would go ahead and do hyposalinity ASAP. http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
Old 03-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I just went through a velvet outbreak and lost 4 fish very fast. The rapid breathing is a sign.
How are your water parameters, Ammonia, nitrite levels, perhaps there is a water quality issue.
Did you quarantine him before adding?
Look at him in the predawn morning thats when a parasite is the most visible, at least it was on mine. If you see any white specs or dusting, be prepared to treat with copper in a separate QT. If you treat in the main, you will not be able to add inverts without getting rid of you substate and anything porous.
good luck
Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I just went through a velvet outbreak and lost 4 fish very fast. The rapid breathing is a sign.
How are your water parameters, Ammonia, nitrite levels, perhaps there is a water quality issue.
Did you quarantine him before adding?
I agree with quarryshark. Your parameters, how good are they? My damsel and chromis both acted similarily, and the PH and nitrites/nitrateswere sky high. Rapid breathing, scratching, hanging in one place are not good signs. Goodluck, hope he lives. e-mail me at duaumun@yahoo.com and i can getback to you quicker. I Check e-mail right before AA.com
Old 03-17-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would remove him and treat in a separate tank whether you use hyposalinity or copper. Both of these treatments if used in your display tank will kill any life on your LR and LS.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #8

I was always told that 9 out of 10 times scratching means parasites of some kind. Copper treatment sounds like the way to go. Good luck.

Tags
trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com