Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I decided to do the water change and add vitamins to food route. I'd rather not use medications unless necessary however I'm not real famaliar with fish diseases other than ick so I don't know at what stage I need to medicate or when/what/how symptoms/diseases will clear up on there own. Hope that makes sense

I got a few book around xmas time including the conscientious marine aquarist and have read the chapter on disease/parasistes etc. I wish the book would have more pictures of common diseases instead of just describing them, I have a hard time diagnosing problems.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
steve-s

The red splotchyness could be a bacterial infection or as Terry B pointed out from the low ph. Either way, what you have done has been effective. Unless the problem progresses, you do not need meds. The increased nutrition and vigilant water changes should keep yielding positive results. Make sure to monitor the alk/ph more often as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
The red does not look any better and it's been another week. Any particular meds I should try? I"m been doing the water changes, testing PH and using dKH buffer when the ALK gets too low. I"m not sure why this fish is not improving. He's still eating a lot of food and acting ok but the marks are not getting any better, they are not as bright red as they were however they seem to be a little larger than before.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
steve-s

Nitrofurazone would be the best recommendation. It is usually much more effective with internal problems that most regular broad spectrum anti-biotics.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would make a couple of LARGE water changes with well aged and aerated saltwater. This is often enough for the fish to recover. If the water changes do not help then you should treat the fish in quarantine with Maracyn-Two using the double dose suggested in the instructions for the first day EACH and EVERY day for 7 days. You can make a water change each day BEFORE you add the next dose of medication. Just be sure not to use raw saltwater. It is important that the water is well dissolved and aerated so you don't irritate the delicate gill tissues. You could try nitrofurazone (Furacyn by Aquatornics) instead but then you would not be able to make daily water changes. The correct dose for nitrofurazone is 30mg/gal dosing ONLY on the first day and leaving the fish in the medicated water 3 to 5 days max. The low pH is probably what brought this on. It is important not to let the pH drop below 8.0. There are plenty of alk and pH boosters available. I like Seachem products.
Terry B

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com