Help!! Need Advice on live rock and why our fish are dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting a saltwater tank and have had everything but fish and rock in the aquarium for around two weeks. On Friday, I received a shipment of live rock and introduced the rock to our tank (on Wednesday I had added three damsels). By noon today all the damsels were dead, so I went and took a water sample to our pet store and they said everything checked out fine. I purchased five more damsels and within fifteen minutes from entering the tank they were laying on the bottom of the tank. I know salt water tanks take time to cycle (we also purchased bio-spira and added it to our tank today to help with the cycling), but I am beginning to think maybe the rock was not a good thing????? Also, I noticed when I open the lid to our aquarium it is a little stinky. What should I do??? Thanks for the advice!!!

what type of water did you put into the tank? i found out the hard way if you are on well water it is not good

Well did you de cholrinate it? most people know to do that lol.

Was your rock cured? if not it probably caused an ammonia spike that event he damsels couldn't take....

Bingo. If it smells skunky after you put in the live rock yet didn't before, it's more than likely rock that hasn't been cured or has had a lot of dying off in transit to your house. It takes a lot for damsels to die, they're known for being a very hardy fish.

I'm sorry for the loss, but at least you know what your issue was. I'm not a pro or anything, but if it was up to me I'd say that you should let your tank cycle again before adding any more fish.

I second that. When you put in the lr, you started another cycle due to the die off from transport. Did you acclimate the damsels? Before buying anymore damsels, make sure that you want them in the tank. I had two damsels in my tank first right after cycling. Anything new that was put in the tank was attacked. They are also very hard to catch. I spent 4 hours and had to eventually take out all my lr to get them. LR is great for the tank, you just need to let the tank cycle again before adding anymore fish. How big is the tank? Patience is key.

Our tank is a 72 gallon bowfront. Would the shrimp method help to cycle faster?? Also, does anyone have any idea how long it should take on average to be ready for fish? Thanks for all the help.

First thing is you can not rush into a sw tank. Only bad thing happen fast in this hobby, as you have found out.
Shrimp will help kick start a cycle, do not waste any more money on quick cycle additives you should be buying test kits instead. You want Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to start. Test daily on amm to start then when after a week or 2 start testing for nitrite.
Do not add any more fish until you get through the cycle which could be from 3 to 6 weeks, if your lucky 4 weeks and you'll be done. If you got cured LR then there may be little or no cycle... What and where did u get the LR
Read , read and read more on this site and others while your waiting for the tank to cycle. As you can tell the LFS is after your cash, they should have told you after the first fish died that you need to cycle first.
What do you add to your water besides salt?? Read up on proper acclimation of fish and corals before buying more fish. It will really suck when you don't acclimate that $30 fish right and it dies in 3-5 days...
Keep asking questions and we will help out all we can......

Back
Top Bottom