Help, need QT tank now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
So.. Ich has now become very present in my bio cube 29. All of my inhabitants show signs of it minus my yasha goby. I have a 20 gallon tall that I can use for a hospital tank, but how do I go about doing this? I figured I'll run my AC hob with just filter floss and a extra heater I have, but how long do i have to wait to move the fish? Would like to instantly. What decor should I use? Should it bare bottom? Should I run a light?

Thanks for all your help, hope I can fix this problem promptly.

Is a QT tank even my best option?

qt would be your best option. Do bare bottom and constantly do water changes daily. Introduce the fish once the temperature is met. The hob would be fine. very little decor pvc is mainly used most of the time. It provides hiding spaces to help reduce stress that is already present. Best of luck. There are several different ways to treat ich. Hyposalinity/ medicine etc.

So I can put the fish in the same day I fill the QT? Seems scary. I read I need to leave the DT empty for six weeks, will a coral beauty, 2 clowns, a six line, and a yasha be okay in a 20?

What is a freshwater dip? Or will ich still be in my tank then?

So.. Ich has now become very present in my bio cube 29. All of my inhabitants show signs of it minus my yasha goby. I have a 20 gallon tall that I can use for a hospital tank, but how do I go about doing this? I figured I'll run my AC hob with just filter floss and a extra heater I have, but how long do i have to wait to move the fish? Would like to instantly. What decor should I use? Should it bare bottom? Should I run a light?

Thanks for all your help, hope I can fix this problem promptly.

Is a QT tank even my best option?

Ouch ... that sucks. With FW you generally don't QT an ich outbreak ... but with SW not sure the same rules apply as in FW where you treat the whole tank.

For future reference, save the 20gal tall and maybe do a rubbermaid bin as a QT. No need for decor as mentioned, a heater should do with medical QT's, There should be more than enough PWC's to keep any ammonia from building up so no need to fret as much about providing a filter initially.

Hope they all get cured .. good luck!

Last edited:
I would love to treat the entire tank but it is a reef tank with inverts and I do not want the meds to harm either. Or is this technique just increased temp and increased PWC?

Thanks I am sensing hope to fixing this!! :)

For SW you can treat with copper or Hyposalinity. I think hypo is less stressful to fish, but both have a degree of stress. That is done in a QT, not your DT. Either of those will cure the fish. Some people believe that simply having pristine water and healthy fish will allow the fish to fight it off. It can work, but if it looks pretty bad, i think its more luck.

The tank being fallow lets the Ich run through its life cycle, but when it does not have a fish to host it, it dies off. Freshwater dips can help, but can't get it all. Things like raising the temp are a freshwater tricks. It doesn't work for saltwater. Cleaner shrimp/wrasses do nothing either. Read up on it. There are many posts in Sick Fish with links and info. There are a lot of myths and misunderstandings. Know your enemy and understand exactly what you need to do that works.

A 20 is small for multiples, but you'd just have to watch the parameters and be ready to do water changes as needed, which could be frequently.

Back
Top Bottom