Help! Need to nurish badly beaten up Brittle Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just looked at my tank, and noticed my brittle star only has two whole arms, two stubs, and one arm completely missing, and my missing, I mean ripped out, part of his center is exposed. The other day, I noticed one of my turbo's had died (maybe killed now) and was eatten.

I noticed some larger amphi/copods near my star lately, and recently I've seen some bristleworms, who look similar to the bad fireworms, but I can't get a good ID.

My Brittle is on the brink of death, the past couple of day's I haven't noticed he hasn't eatten. I'm going to put him in a noodle strainer in my tank, so he can have a current, but be out of reach from whatever did this.

I'm going to do a water test now before I go to work, and I'll check back at when I get off at 9pm

EDIT: I can't find the test cards, could someone take a pic of theirs and post it. Its an API kit

Sorry to hear about the bad news...but, it does not sound good for the star. I do not see any livestocked listed in your profile thtat would do this so I would turn my attention toward water parameters. Rapidly changing or poor parameters can cause this in sea stars. Good luck...post parameters when you can.

If anyone has an API Test Kit, please take a picture of the cards and post them. I think the large turbo snail fouled up the water, as my ammonia tube is slightly green.

The sudden change in parameters could have been enough for the star to start self-automazation

lando said:
I would turn my attention toward water parameters. Rapidly changing or poor parameters can cause this in sea stars. Good luck...post parameters when you can.

I agree. Check as soon as possible. I had those cards but I threw them away a couple weeks ago. Moving to the sick forum.

Ok, I got the cards a day after I did a 20% PWC.
Ammonia:Somewhere between 0-.25
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:5

I took the large dead turbo out, I was under the impression that he was eaten out completely... big mistake, I'm sure thats what caused the spike. Sometimes I just feel stupid. I'll keep you posted about the star if I notice any recovery

hc8719 said:
Sometimes I just feel stupid. I'll keep you posted about the star if I notice any recovery

Dont feel like that. We are all on a learning curve here. No one has arrived. Let us know about the star.

Back
Top Bottom