Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help needed please

well hello everyone i wonder if anyone could tell me if i have a serious problem in my tank or am i just paranoid? i have several fish in a 5ft tank and just lately ive noticed my regal tang itching up against the rock and what looks like to me a sort of rash around it's fascial area,there's no whitespot's on him so i done some research on the net and in fish shops and some of there regals look like they have the same markings around the face.but what about the itching up against the rocks he's not lost no appetite.help

Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Fish will rub up against things from time to time. It is sometimes a sign of parasites. The dark blue spots you see around the face are just the markings the fish has. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #3

cheers can you also tell me if this is also what they do,he's been bolting around in the tank like a mad man sometimes and going to the top quite alot is this part of there behaviour to.thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How large is the tank? What else do you have in the tank? What are your water parameters? Tangs usually swim around all the time but if he is darting around like that he could be stressed. How long have you had the tang in the tank and how long has the tank been set up?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Is that cyano in the background of the first picture? Getting the water parameters would definitely be the first step. What are your "several" other fish. Is one of them picking on the Tang.
I have a blue tang also, they all have those freckle spots on the face. In my past experience, rubbing up against the rocks usually ends up in a parasite outbreak.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just keep an eye out for ich. It does not always mean ich but more times than not it does. If it does let us know and we will post you some links on ick.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Looks to be pitting from facial erosion, hlle. Nutrition is always suspect with tangs and surgeonfishes; however, stress is always an underlying factor. Algae outbreaks don't necessarily mean there is a water quality problem.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #8

hello i had the water tested today and the ammonia is 3.0,and this is probaly the cause hoprfully,the guy at the shop suggested doing frequent water changes is this the quickest way to get the ammonia down,and thanks everyone.by the way i have a powder blue tang,lipstick tang and regal tang, 2 damsels, butterfly 3 clowns, 1 humbug and 1 wrasse.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you have ammonia showing up in your tank either it is not cycled or you had something die. How long has this tank been set up?

Ammonia is converted to NitrIte via bacteria and then to Nitrate.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #10

yeah we had a star fish die in the tank about 2 weeks ago the tank has been set up for bout 5 weeks,prior to that it had been set up for 8years.the live rock that i have is turning a crapy red colour to,gona get some more pics p.s the regal is looking little worse today.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com